• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need front u-joint part suggetion

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing the front u-joints on my 96 XJ and I got the 260x Spicers for my mechanic to press in. Evidently I got the wrong advice from somewhere b/c he's saying they're not the right size. Should I have gotten the 760x Spicers instead?

I think there might have been two different front axles offered on the 96 XJ or am I not right about that?

Actually, instead of the Spicer 760s (which I don't think has zerk fittings) would it be better to source a u-joint with zerks? Seems like they go bad when the grease runs out. And although a grease seal is good (like on the Spicers) it seems like the option to re-grease would give a longer life.

Last edited:
JOINT, Universal
J812 6637 AR XJ With 1.060" Diameter Caps
4137 757 AR XJ With 1.187" Diameter Caps

I honestly haven't noticed much if any more longevity in the U-joints with or without zirk fittings. Logic says the greasable type will last longer, not that I've noticed, just about the same. Or if they last longer it doesn't seem to be lot longer.

Back