• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Yukon Zip install D30

wilhite78

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Worked on installing Yukon Zip locker with new 4.56 gears in my D30 today. Everything went together pretty well except after shimming the carrier, positioning the tube and torquing the bearing cap, the Seal Housing was rotating when turning the gears by hand. I assumed that torquing down the caps would have held it in position. The way its rotating the tube will break in no time.
Any advice?

Sounds like your carrier preload is way too loose.. should take a few hits
with 3lb rubber hammer to get whole carrier and bearings and seal housing into diff.

One of two things or both, are not right.

You have to install Exactly as the Instruction shows when it comes to where shims go! There must be a "master shim, between the seal housing and the race for that side! Minimum.. Then add as needed in the same location for preload and backlash needs.

You must have preload on the carrier and as mentioned, "tap/hit" the carrier into location, or you dont have enough.

Once the above is correct, you will be fine. Once thing you may want to do also, to help prevent the tube from crushing slightly or rupturing, is to take a flap wheel or grinder and massage the bearing cap on the outer are where the tube will run past it, at the where the race touches basically. Giving it a bit more room between the bearing cap and where it exits the seal housing. IF Needed. Some do not.

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I just don't have enough preload.

There appears to be plenty of clearance on mine for the tube to go around the bearing cap but I will double check, thanks for that tip RWK!

I would also verify that you have the master shim in the right area, otherwise the bearing cage will rub/hit the seal housing and then no matter how much preload you have, when you turn the carrier it will turn the seal housing.

Back