• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there ANY metal alternative to the PLASTIC Power-Steering Pulley ??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a metal power-steering pulley offered anywhere, as an alternative to the OEM plastic one (1999 XJ)...??

Also, is there anything in the way of an upgrade PS pump version available that is a direct-fit replacement? Not that I need increased pump force for massive tires, etc., just like upgrade options when considerin' replacing something...

Thanks.

The WJ pump (I think) is a good replacement.
As for the metal pulley... why? It doesn't seem to me that I have seen many people looking to replace it. But if you are worried any machine shop could spin one up pretty quick. I don't know of any off the shelf though.

Early model XJ's have metal pulleys, PSC has an aluminum pulley

Early model xj fits on the wj pump. Had 2 plastic pulleys grenade on the wife's wj before swapping to one off an 89 xj. 2nd 1 blew up while snow wheeling which led to a very cold and difficult flat towing with a strap about 30 miles with no power steering, headlights, and fogged up windows. Never seen a metal pulley fail and will never run another plastic one.

There are two Dorman part numbers, one is plastic one is metal. AFAIK they're interchangeable. The metal pulley only has two holes. I'll look up the part number later if you need it

whats the benefit of a smaller pulley?

NAPA sells a metal one. Don't remember if it is a Dorman part or what. IIRC three holes.

Metal, plastic, what's the point. The last time I had to replace my metal one if came apart like it was made of half dry drywall compound. Heat soak sucks.

So renix era pulleys are interchangeable with the TJ pulleys ?

I run a TJ high output PSC pump with my metal renix pulley on my renix XJ, but I was told I could not use the smaller pulley -somewhere on here - since it was offset and the renix is not so it would not work? But now, what folks are saying it sounds like it would work - I can use the smaller pulley??

Last edited:
My 90 came with a plastic pulley but my spare engine from and 89 had a Metal pulley.
so not all Renix era are metal pulleys. I had two plastic pulleys chip and eat up belts but have had zero issues with the metal pulley.

So renix era pulleys are interchangeable with the TJ pulleys ?

I run a TJ high output PSC pump with my metal renix pulley on my renix XJ, but I was told I could not use the smaller pulley -somewhere on here - since it was offset and the renix is not so it would not work? But now, what folks are saying it sounds like it would work - I can use the smaller pulley??

you may be able to press the pulley on just until the belt lines up.

Last edited:
Back