• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green Alternator MG1334

nwautoxer

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have actual experience installing this alternator on a 1998 Cherokee XJ (4.0L engine)? Is modification necessary to the alternator or to the mounting bracket?

I have searched and have found threads that indicate modifications are needed on the mounting brackets for earlier years of XJs but nothing specific to a 1998 Cherokee.

I called a Mean Green Vendor this afternoon and asked two questions. The first question was about the wiring connections, and the answer was that the stock wiring connects to the alternator with no changes required. The second question was about the alternator body and the alternator mount, and the answer was that the alternator bolts into the existing mount with no modifications required.

Thanks very much in advance for letting me know if the vendor's statements are correct.

Yes, it will bolt in. I definitely recommend upgrading your wiring. 5-90 cable set comes to mind.
Altho, you may be better off with a ZJ/Durango HO alt for an upgrade as it should be less than half the cost of the MG.

Thanks for the reply. I have been emailing with Jon (5-90) and he will be making cables for me. He has been a great help with planning the electrical upgrades.

Ordered the alternator today after talking to a rep at Mean Green. He told me four things:
- Part numbers MG1334, MG1334-D1, and MG1334-D2 are all the same alternator
- For my 1998 Cherokee, the alternator mount will need to be clearance because the MG1334 has a larger case than the stock alternator
- The wiring connects to the alternator without modifications
- The alternator comes with the pulley

I ended up ordering the alternator from partstrain.com for $360.90, about $39 less than other sources.

Hope this helps others who may want to use this alternator.

I just want to comment that Jon, 5-90, has been helping me with planning cable upgrades and he is great.

Back