• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gearbox

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, I6, AW4
Does anyone know how many turns lock to lock there are on a stock box? I think the steering ratio is 14:1.
I am looking to buy a replacement box any suggestions?
I drive 80% on road 20% off road and wheels and tires are almost stock. I hear bad reviews of reman boxes from Autozone, Advance Autos and Pepboys.

I did the 99 Durango upgrade a few weeks ago and it took all of the play out of the wheel. Nice and tight, before swap I had to use both hands on the wheel all of the time, now it is smooth as silk.

Bought the box at Oreillys, reman for around 160. Also installed the C-ROK spacer and frame brace at the same time, huge difference. No problems with the box so far.

Can't comment on the steering ratio.

I did the same a 99 Durango box and the c-rok Durango spacer. I went through 2 reman boxes before that. I got the box from O'Reilly Auto Parts so I could get the exact part number others had success with. I'm very happy with the swap.

Here is the part number I used: 27-7580 MasterPro Power Steering - Power Steering Gear

anybody?
My local auto supply needed to know the number of turns lock to lock for the stock steering gearbox before selling me the right part

Back