• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with my steering.

DustinBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have some speed wobbles around 50 and around 70 mph and I have done just about everything I can think of to try and fix it and I was wondering if any of you had any more suggestions. I don't think I need a drop pitman arm but I have included pictures of my steering to see what you guys think. Thanks in advance for your help.
2nvcpio.jpg

2e4y9m9.jpg

289hpwk.jpg

I don't think you need a drop pitman arm, either.
What have you already tried?
50 to 70 is prime territory for wheel / tire issues.

I have replaced all tie rod ends gotten new control arms I got my tires balanced . Replaced the upper control arm bushings where it mounts to the axle. Pretty much the only thing in the front end I haven't replaced is my hubs and as far as I can tell they are not bad.

Try running the jeep in 4wd with all 4 tires off the ground. Listen to the back of the hub with a stethoscope. The three hub bolts are a good reference.
You should hear good clean bearing sound. Your pinion / carrier bearings can be used as a reference (if they are any good). It's as much like a whisper as anything when bearings are good.
When they are bad, it's just a damned racket of white noise & grinding sounds.
A bearing can cause issues (noise, vibration) well before you can feel it in your hands.

It could also be driveshaft issues..
Can you describe the issue a little more?

make sure track bar is tight, all mounting points and anything track bar related. swap tires front to back. What is your caster and toe in set at? Is it driveline vibes or death wobble? Could be a bad U joint in the rear DS or front. Pull the front DS and try it again. Also considering replacing the U Joints on the rear DS. Also try running a set of known to be good tires.

It is fine at low speeds and then around fifty I get a very small amount of wobble. It seems worse when I'm going around a slight curve. When I get up to 70 it is much worse. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel too much but I feel it shaking the body. Before I got my tires balanced it was worse but it is still there. But before I got them balanced it was only at 50 and now it is at 50 and 70.

And I got it aligned no more than a month ago. And i'm not sure what the caster and toe in are set at I had a shop do it and I can't seem to find the paper they gave me.

I havent heard this one before but it was my buddies issue on his xj a while back... Check the torques that hold the motor mount bracketry to the block. His were loose and missing one... he went through the whole front end and just coincidently checked those and that was the Issue... longshot but it's good to eliminate it.

I'll check that tomorrow I'm done messing with it for the night. I've been spending every night after work on it for a while now and I have made pretty much no progress.

I had a vibration at about 55 .mostly went away when i replaced the universal joints in the front axle. But also had a bad part in the front d.s. [Centerpin between the 2 u joints.] Im not sure if my vibration is the same as your condition.
The ball joints you replaced, were they eccentric to the point where you could add caster.
You might try pulling your front drive shaft. then shorten your upper control arms .
that will give you back your caster. if the condition goes away or lessens you know you got it. Good luck

Also check steering box for play in shaft, loose mounting bolts, or cracked frame side spacer.

Thanks for all your help guys I'll do some of the things you've suggested when I get off work today and tomorrow and probably let y'all know sometime tomorrow.

Check the joint of the trackbar. That joint likes to loosen up, causing a wobble. Have someone turn the wheel while you inspect things underneath and listen/feel for clunks. I highly recommend the trackbar brace that goes with that trackbar

Back