• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Exhaust Manifold Tightening Sequence?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
Doing a head job tomorrow.

Can't remember the torque spec or torque pattern for putting both the intake and exhaust manifold back on the head.

Does anyone have it? 99 XJ. 4.0. 0630 head casting.

Thanks.

STANDARD: Top row from front to rear:
8--4--1--5--9
Bottom row from front to rear:
11--7--3--2--6--10
Top of of exterior pipe going to base of exhaust--12--and at base--13

Torque values of your '99.., I have no clue. I understand that '99 is a split year as per the type of head, or manifolds, but I am really fuzzy about that. Try 'googling' around, or get a cheap manual for your year at your local store, i.e., call around firstly as they are harder to find the old ones me thinks.

Best luck to 'ya.

If you look at torque sequences for manifolds and heads across various makes and models, the one common thing: start in the middle and work your way outward.

The torque spec is around 25 ft lbs. With the universals and other tools used to make all the angles required to get at the bolts and nuts, it is basically impossible to accurately torque everything to a specific value.

Back