• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy with lift/drive shaft questions

jimbos76cj

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to ask this here. Ive looked through the forum a bitand couldnt find any posts but Im sure its been beat to death.

Lift a xj 4" can I get away with stock drive shaft or do I need to get a longer one?

Pre 96 should be no problem, maybe swap out the upper yoke for an aftermarket one that is a tad longer. 96+ will probably need an SYE and new driveshaft.

Front or rear? What model year?

Speaking in generalities - Front should be fine. I'm over 5" with the original unmodified shaft. With a stock D35 or 8.25 in the rear, I am not sure. I haven't had a stock rearend in years. I put an 8.8 in the rear, and used a front shaft. With the adaptor flange and the SYE I installed, I actually had to have it shortened.

I'm running a Rusty's 4.5 inch lift in my '99, plus boomerang shackles that add another inch or so in the rear, using stock shafts and no SYE. So far there hasn't been a problem.

Back