• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 to 8 lug questions

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody
Well I just picked up a 14 volt rear to replace my 8.8. I don't have the time money or drive to do a front 1 tons swap when my 44 has held up just fine.

Right now I have a 89 waggy 44 with chevy flat top knuckles and big bearing spindles.
Here's where the questions start. I have seen people say I will need caliper backing plates but I won't need new calipers as the waggy ones will fit. What's keeping me from just using the caliper brackets I have on there now and just getting 8 lug hubs and rotors.
Also I have a friend with ford 3/4 ton hubs and rotors I can pick up. Will those work or so I need all chevy stuff
Looking to keep 15 inch wheels since I just bought tireS.

You need to replace the calipers brackets with the 8 lug version because the 8 lug rotor is a larger diameter than the 6 lug. You can still run 15" wheels but it is very tricky, you have to very carefully grind a little off the body of the caliper in order to clear the wheel. And run the 3/4 ton calipers, namely the heavy GVW version, they have a much larger piston in them and will improve braking. They are pretty cheap from any parts store.

48149902edac328e98d64ebab7e8379c.jpg

Ok
I've just seen multiple people say that you need the bracket from a chevy but the waggy caliper will bolt onto it.
I guess I see the point now. The bolt pattern for the bracket must be the same but it moves the waggy caliper out farther

Back