• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have to do a bastard pack for the rear???

01classicxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I'm doing the rear shackle relocation bracket. Would not mind stretching my rear axle a extra couple of inches plus the rear is sagging from the wieght of the JCR rear bumper tire carrier combo, plus gear in back. I keep reading about everyone making bastard packs. I found 90-94 Chevy S-10 packs at the local salvage. Can't i install as is?? The Chevy pack's would push my axle back three inches and the shackle relocation would take care of the rest correct? Spring capacity is 1100 so would bring my rear up but i'm not sure how much. Anyone done a standard pack swap onto a cherokee? I am not worried about the shock mount's. I have a 8.8 install kit with E-cables sitting in the garage. Thanks

If you have the relo brackets and want to extend your wheelbase, no reason not to at least try the springs as is.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a try. I don't mind if it jacks me a little tooo much in the rear. I'm currently stock and can just throw a small spacer in front. Salvage yard wants $45 each. Does that sound reasonable?

That is less than half the price of a new set of leafs so I guess it's alright.

Thanks for your reply's Hypoid and Johnnie Walker. The salvage place also has the (4 leaf) springs off an S10 Blazer available so wondering now which to try. Hmmm. Anyone here bolted either standard packs up and can say what happened?

The salvage place also has the (4 leaf) springs off an S10 Blazer available so wondering now which to try. Hmmm. Anyone here bolted either standard packs up and can say what happened?
Only way to know how a bastard pack is going to look and ride is to bolt together and try it.
4 leafs is going to be too light for your XJ's weight, 5 or 6 would be better

The only ones I know of, used the S10 main leaf to gain length.
Not 100%, but the Blazer packs are probably shorter. I would go with S10 truck (non-blazer) for length. If you bring a tape measure you can always measure to make sure tho.

When hunting for donor springs, take a good look at the main springs and be sure they are 1/4" thick or less. Many HD and/or aftermarket leaf packs include a 5/16" main spring, too thick for a decent ride and flex.
High end leaf packs have many thin leaves.
When building bastard packs, consider using a thin liner between the leaves to decrease friction.
https://www.google.com/search?q=eat...ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.bsfab.net%2F%3Fp%3D65;580;434

I used to be a big fan of the liner, until I realized none of the race spring builders use them.

Only way to know how a bastard pack is going to look and ride is to bolt together and try it.
4 leafs is going to be too light for your XJ's weight, 5 or 6 would be better

yup, thats about it....

only thing about the s10 is the leaves have so much more arch than the jeep ones its kind of ridiculous.....

my ideal bastard leaf set up consists of two xj main leafs with the eyes cut off under the existing.. and a mix of lower s10 and jeep leafs below depending on how much lift i need. Otherwise you dont want to fatigue the saggy main leaf in your pack.....

^^^^ Trying to figure that out right now. My top leaf in my current XJ pack is looking a little tired (even though it's only a couple years old at most). Looking to shore it up a bit and gain a little lift while I'm at it. Just watched the guy at Bleepin' Jeeps keep his top spring and swap out the rest of the pack with S-10 springs. Was thinking about just taking the S-10 top spring, cutting it down as needed to fit as snuggly as possible under my main and calling it good, but I've been worried about stiffness there as opposed to just adding more XJ leaves.

Back