• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Olympus off road LED headlights

Jbh97009

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody running the Olympus off road LED headlights? I've been wanting a set of Trucklites but having a hard time justifying the price. Stumbled on the Olympus ones today and wondering if any of you guys are running them and what you think???

Several months ago I installed a set of LED headlights in my JK and found out that they put out alot of noise if you are running a 2 meter radio for daily communications.
The RF was so bad that I had 3/4 scale noise on the radio.
I experimented with alot of different ideas that would decrease stray RF on a ham radio.
Tried installing ferrite chokes on the power leads, installed a noise suppression capacitor inline, already had the power leads directly to the battery, grounded the radio with braded grounding strap, grounded the antenna coax shield. Eventually I narrowed the noise down to the LED power module. I disassembled the module and found that the circuit was not filtered well enough and the LED heat sink fan motor was extremely noisy. I then grounded the fan motor chassis and packed the module with RTV to stop any arcing.
None of these ideas provided any positive results.
Finally contacted the seller who then called the manufacturer (Chinese overseas company). Talked to them about the quality of the fan motor and the power circuits. Their response was... to fix this problem would require changing to better components. This would increase the price of each item and the problem identified is rare enough that they do not want to impact their profit margin.
Since nothing could be done to resolve the issue I had these lights; I returned them to the seller who had been authorized by the manufacturer to provide me a full refund including shipping.

The LED lights do put out a tremendous amount of light, but was not worth the loss of communications.
What I am trying to say is.... IF you decide you want a set of LED lights; you should consider trying a set before you purchase them.

Last edited:
I suspect a higher quality fan could be found & attached to the headlight though, no? It may / may not be a standard fan type.

I'd save up for the trucklites. Pretty sure the LED headlight bulbs are basically the same as putting PnP HID's in your stock housings.

I'd save up for the trucklites. Pretty sure the LED headlight bulbs are basically the same as putting PnP HID's in your stock housings.

the LEDs are a lot better. i've seen them used, and they are miles above some drop in HID bulb. BUT- i wouldn't run them on any car i have, ever, based on color temp alone. they are like 6-6500k and it's too "blue" for me, so you don't have good light at dawn/dusk or during rain/snow/fog/etc. YMMV.

I run our earlier style on my J10 and love them. Using hella e-code housings they give a really clean output without blinding other drivers. High beam is only marginally better than the low beams. But the low beams work so well I never feel the need to touch the high Beams.

The color temp is very white but If the fog gets bad I also run a pair of amber pod lights to help take care of visibility there if need be.

If you want a review from someone other than the source DrMoab and FlexdJ also run them in I believe autopal housings.

I run our earlier style on my J10 and love them. Using hella e-code housings they give a really clean output without blinding other drivers. High beam is only marginally better than the low beams. But the low beams work so well I never feel the need to touch the high Beams.

The color temp is very white but If the fog gets bad I also run a pair of amber pod lights to help take care of visibility there if need be.

yea! i wouldn't hesitate anything from this jerk. i have two olympus light bars and they are awesome. i'd have more if they made cheap, high dispersion work lights! *hint*

Pics of the cutoff? The last picture looks terribly glarey.

Pardon the left headlight. The plastic aimer broke on me and it is jb welded there until I can find a replacement bucket.

Low beam from about 12 feet back.

IMG_20141003_191031_534_zps1153971f.jpg

Back