• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Module Replacement

devildog0

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a favorite fuel pump brand they want to recommend? I'm having issues with extended crank times. I've read this can be caused by a failed component in the fuel pump assy. Also I've got fuel gauge issues. The gauge reads a full quarter tank low. So even with the gauge sitting on "E" I still have 4 to 5 gallons of fuel in the tank.

These are the two I'm looking at now but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears. As well to anyone who has had direct experience with these unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E7121M...eep:cherokee&keywords=jeep+cherokee+fuel+pump

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...eep:cherokee&keywords=jeep+cherokee+fuel+pump

I don't see a Bosch module/assy anywhere. Just the fuel pump itself. I'm looking for the whole assy. Like this

71%2BfdNARxyL._SL1500_.jpg

I got my Bosch pump assemble off Rockauto.com.

Also, I thought when it's on E your meant to have that 4-5 gallon reserve.

Bosch or Delphi. Depending on year You may have more options at parts stores.

When I did my research I saw lots of complaints about Airtex.

I wound up ordering mine off ebay from a guy with a good reputation for providing top quality fuel pumps at a low price. IIRC what I received was a Bosch unit. That was for a pump by itself though.

I got my Bosch pump assemble off Rockauto.com.

Also, I thought when it's on E your meant to have that 4-5 gallon reserve.

It's not on there now, the bosh assy. Just the pump by itself not the whole assy.

When the low fuel light comes on you should only have 2ish gallons left, and that should be just at or under the last notch on the fuel gauge. When my low fuel light comes on I have 7 to 8 gallons of fuel left.

It makes it a pain to plan longer stops between fuel because even though I know there's plenty of gas left in there the gauge just mocks me the whole time haha.

Maybe you can find a Carter assembly for the XJ.
I recently replaced a Ranger fuel pump with a
Carter, and it seems to be a good pump. It was
made in the USA, which is a plus...

Consider replacing the rubber fuel line that goes to
the filter. It's a 5/16" hose, and best to use the
SAE 30R9 type, with true F.I. clamps instead of
the screw type.

97+ is really fun as you have to drop the tank and everything that is around it. Ie tire carrier/bumper, shackle relocators, tow hitch, gas skid.
So i just cut an axcess hole in the floor. Makes the swap very easy.

Same here. I dropped the tank out of a late model ZJ and it came right out. Looking at the tank in the XJ I don't see anything extra that would have to come out of there to get the tank off.

Back