• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Window Rotopax Holder

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done this to a Cherokee yet?? I was thinking of trying it out. Street legal....not sure in CA. Nothing's legal in CA.
I was checking out Rebels version for the JK when I was over there the other day. Pretty ingenious crew they got over there.
This is the pic from their website.

ROE-JK-WR-6_zps95ceee36.jpg

I do not see it being an issue. Making an insert to go in the window seal should not be an issue other than weight. Maybe tie in a brace/bracket/ rack to enforce it.

I have a 4 gallon rigged up to the tire carrier. It worked out well on a trip to
deepest darkest Mexico a couple of years ago.
I like the arrangement in the photo though. I might have to try something
similar.

I would so end up leaning that can against a rock and puncturing it..

I will grant that Kali has some really screwy rules, but given the ready availability of cargo vans without windows in the sides I don't think there would be an issue with that. As long as you have door mirrors on both sides of the vehicle I think you are free to go ahead and screw up your rear window visibility all day long. You could fill the back full of moving boxes and still be legal, right?

It is an interesting idea.

Personally, I would be more interested in side windows that flipped open, rather like a camper shell, giving quick access to the inside contents.

I will grant that Kali has some really screwy rules, but given the ready availability of cargo vans without windows in the sides I don't think there would be an issue with that. As long as you have door mirrors on both sides of the vehicle I think you are free to go ahead and screw up your rear window visibility all day long. You could fill the back full of moving boxes and still be legal, right?

It is an interesting idea.

Personally, I would be more interested in side windows that flipped open, rather like a camper shell, giving quick access to the inside contents.

I second that ! If they flipped all the way up it would be very handy..

This is a long term project for my 2door, but boxes roughly ~8" deep, like those found on box bed work trucks. Downward folding with a flat top. I work out of my vehicle in the field, and absolutely love having a flat work table for plans, beverages, and paperwork.

Puncturing a Rotopax in that positon would be difficult to say the least. On the XJ it's not like that window is used by the driver in any way. That's why mine gets covered in stickers. I can't see out of it with the spare there anyway.

I'm going to give it shot. Make it out of 18-16 gauge and weld it in flush. Like it was meant to be there. And a maybe a little metal strap on the outside to prevent the puncturing thing. I'll see what happens. I just don't like the tanks on the tire carrier, or inside the cab. And the roof isn't an option.

Back