• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel rubbing fender

Nichkojr.7

NAXJA Forum User
How can I fix this issue. You can't make a full turn with out ripping the fender flare off! I've got a 92' 6" lift Rollin on 33s lol. But I need tips with cutting out the fenders so I can make a full turn.
vuhyvesy.jpg

Best bet for this would be to remove the flares and cut the lip of the wheel well higher. That is a pretty simple little procedure if you have the right tools.

Take the flare off first, then, if you want to keep the flares on, put it on the fender where you want it to sit, mark the new location with a sharpie on tape and cut accordingly. You can secure it by drilling though the fender and using nuts and bolts. You will have to remove or modify your inner fender well splash guard.

Swap out those way too wide 10" wheels for a set of 8" wide with the same backspacing. It will narrow your scrub radius and you shouldn't rub on your flare anymore.

Take 2-3" of that lift off and get a set of Napier flares. They will keep you legal, eliminate some of the excessive lift issues I'm sure you have, open the wheelwells up enough to count and look good doing all of the above... AND... Get a set of 8" wide wheels on there...

Last edited:
i wouldnt call that excessive lift?

I don't know why, but that struck me funny.

Excessive lift for 33s... I'm sitting at 2" of lift on 31st with no trimming or rubbing. My Napier flares showed up yesterday. I think with 1" extended bumpstops, I should be able to clear 33s... These days, there is no reason to go with so much lift for that tire size...

I'm not sitting 2" above the wore out, underengineered, high mile stock springs. I actually have 2" of lift over new stock springs, I sit at 3" over the tired low mile 4 cylinder springs...

yeah move your flares up to the body line and bump stop the jeep correctly...

I have a inch less lift & 35's, never had a flare rip off.....

Excessive lift for 33s... I'm sitting at 2" of lift on 31st with no trimming or rubbing. My Napier flares showed up yesterday. I think with 1" extended bumpstops, I should be able to clear 33s... These days, there is no reason to go with so much lift for that tire size...

Don't forget i have 10" wide rims too. You prolly have 8"s

Actually I'm running 7" wide wheels. Why are you running 10s with a 12.50 anyway? You don't need that wide of a wheel for those. A 13.50 or wider yes, but not a 12.50...

Back