• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper recommendations?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I'm tempted to order an ARB Bull Bar bumper and Warn M8000 or XD9000 winch when I redo my lift kit. This is for a 97 XJ that I bought last month. Based on what I've done in the past, a winch could be helpful if you're running solo in the woods no matter what kind of lockers or tires you may have. I suppose good tow hooks and good come a long are another approach. It may even be right for me given how many times I've had to pull myself out in the past. In the past I've had a 93 W250 and I used the M12000 to pull trees out but never managed to get the truck stuck. Any input is welcome before I hand over my credit card number!!

Thanks!

I like my Rigidco bumper

If you can, make your own. I'm not even $150 into this bumper including the tube kit from Dirtbound.

That's a great looking bumper!! The big thing I worry about with the bull bar is that it can be a "damage enhancer" if all its going to do is collapse into the fenders and hood. I guess I'm old school, but my first reaction to the JCR is I don't like the LED's. I'm not going to say KC for a CJ is the best either, but a nice set of IPF of Hellas would probably better suit me.

Last edited:
If I skip the ARB bull bar, I'd be more likely to buy a roof rack and mount some extra lights up there!

I've never been a big ARB bar fan. They were one of the first winch bumpers in the XJ game, and were way ahead at the time. But last time I saw one on an xj, the mounting system was unremarkable relative to my rigidco and many other bumpers that have come out since then like jcr and dirtbound. The engineering seems lacking to me, but that's my $0.02.

I have the dirtbound hoop kit on my rigid winch bumper. I love it, and I'm not worried that it would hold in a role. In fact they ship it a little long, so left mine just peaking over the hood so that it will save the radiator in the event of a roll. I'll probably add some gussets, but it also makes a nice spot for a light bar when I get to it.

Have both on my 98. The ARB is the real deal. Nothing really comes close. On the winch, you need one where you can separate the solenoid box, as the winch itself is inside the bar..

I don't think you can say "nothing comes close". I'll admit I haven't seen an ARB up close in a few years so my memory may be foggy, but part of the reason for that is because they are large, expensive bumpers that few people are buying these days relative to all the other xj bumpers out there. I do think rigidco is one of the best mount systems out there, and when he started selling them probably 12+ years ago, they set the standard for a unibody mount system.

That's a great looking bumper. How's your approach angle?

Its not bad. Its better than most winch bumpers I have seen. the main body, not including the d ring mounts, sticks out about 6 inches in front of the grill.

that is a nice bumper on that comanche, you have to look at as to what you can afford to do..a nates bumper is half the cost of most winch bumpers http://www.nates4x4.com/XJ_Cherokee_Slimline_p/sl_long.htm

its quality and welds are 100%, but its not a complex bumper like the ARB bull bar, its not more tubular like the Proto-fab bumper, and not a slick as the hanson bumper http://www.hansonoffroad.com/products.php?cat=12

do what you like, if you can build it that is the most budget friendly, nate's are actually a reasonable price, and so are the new smitty builts in quadratec, if I had unlimited funds I would buy something nice.....

Orsfab or building your own, no need to spend money on a parking bench

Mine is from DetoursUSA. It's not on their website, but if you call they will make you one.

Picture from the website (not me).

patrick.jpg

I like the design of putting the winch behind the header panel. I like approach angle and that seems like the best option.

Serious offroad makes a nice tube winch bumper, same wit Tnt.

Heres mine, nates slimline recessed w/o winch at the moment. Good unibody tie ins, works well with the durango box and ties into the beefed up gearbox brace. Tough as hell if i didnt have it my jeep would be totaled. i hit a big solid tree in the right corner at about 20-25mph in the snow, hit so hard i busted my head on the overhead console. Messed up stock trackbar and stock steering at the time but i literally just had to replace a quarter panel and headlight bezel no other damage really. All it did to the bumper was bend it over to the side a little and pushed the corner in slightly.

I like the design of putting the winch behind the header panel. I like approach angle and that seems like the best option.

I took the JCR bumper I liked and did just that. If you go this route, there in no bolt in option yet. Youre going to have to cut and youre limited on the size winch you can fit in there. I like it though. Id have to look around but there is a company that makes a bumper that is designed to cut out the front cross member. There are two main benefits here, approach angle and nothing in front of the radiator to block airflow on the 118 degree days.

I have the ORS winch bumper, and they make a version where your grill is damn near the limiter to your approach angle.
I live where I don't need crazy approach, but love the design of the bumper, so had him make mine come out about as much as the stock bumper.
I'm not a fan of the bulk of almost all winch bumpers, the XJ is such a small vehicle it just looks funny with a huge bumper.

14138652679_0ef7b26bf3_b.jpg

http://www.orsfab.com/bumpers.html

Back