• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Cheap Heep Jeep...

1Rusty92XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Good evening y'all, first post and I ain't exactly sure this is where this belongs so move it if necessary.

Picked up a 92 2 door, 4 liter and a 5 speed XJ, probly paid to much.

My intentions are to use it as a street legal 4wheeler, for hunting and trapping.

Winch, on board air, lift and tires. Lockers and gears at a later date.

Not for rocks mainly just ilmaintained roads and muddy Alabama trails.

Plan is to keep it low as possible and more capable than stock.

Had more cancer than I realized and I could kick myself for not looking harder at it but the motor and running gear is in good shape.

The pics I have ain't great but hey it's a start, looking for comments, critics, advice the usual.

I am not a mechanic but I can weld, so here's my rendition of "In over my head" neighborhood ah' b...

I call it the slice, dice, wail and weld method of floor pan replacement, :scared: :D.

The plan is 32 11.50 15 Wild Country M/Ts on 15x 8s with 3.5" backspace... I have a 3" RC lift but am honestly scared to put it on after reading up, may hack it enough to get them to fit IDK... Maybe lift+hack and 33s....

Last edited:
That thing got pretty rusty. Lots of work ahead. I am a big fan of the 2 door XJ's especially with 4.0 and 5 speed. I have an 89 Sport with a 3 inch RC lift. For a basic kit I dont think its too bad. Stiffer ride but I dont mind that probably because its not a DD. I didnt use the block that came with the kit, I used the aal and some leafs from another xj spring pack. That gave it about 4 inches in the rear and close to 4 in the front. I put on 10,000 miles and rear didnt sag, the front did about 1/2 inch. I have a 4.5 RC complete kit that I bought 8 years ago Im going to install this winter. Damn I cant believe my jeeps been in the barn that long. Rc is not bad if you help it with some parts from other companies. I had no problems with vibes but it is different for later years. Even at stock ride height they very capable off road. Have fun.

Yeah it's a rough one, but I figure for $500 it's worth the effort. The upside is I'm learning a lot and having some fun too.

The 3" RC lift I have did not come with a block for the rear just the aal... Maybe I'm missing some parts?

I'm going to go ahead and buy some new rear leaves wether or not I install the lift.

I got the passenger rear 1/3 floor pan most of the way burned in this afternoon.

The plan is to 2x6 the rockers and brace to the main members, it should be stiff enough then.

A couple shots of the cleaned, primed, and primed again main member on the passenger side, I did manage to get the rear 3rd of the new panel in place but was too dark for pics, will post some more tomorrow.

It being a 2 door 5 speed definitely makes it worth it. You should go to town on those floors after your down with monstaliner and chassis saver. My floors also need some patching done here and there. Trying to wait till i get welding gas, fluxcore might not turn out so great

I'm using .030 flux core wire feed on 1 and heat on 30, take your time and tack away. Yes the entire inside is getting lined and the bottom is getting undercoated.

Be careful with some of the smells that can burn off of things while welding. Molten metal temperatures can have interesting effects on some things. Rumor has it that brake cleaner and welding is a really bad recipe for your brain. I am sure there are other chemicals which are comparably unhealthy.

That said, hats off to you for tearing into that rust and replacing it with some fresh sheet metal. It looks like you are giving that Jeep a new lease on life.

Man now I find out that the unibodies were galvanized after '87...

That and the seem sealer explains the nice little monkey that was handing me my hammer when I needed it... Lol! I am going to be more careful for sure, no joke have had headaches since starting this.

Good news is I only have one small spot under the pedals to go.

Real men fab in the dirt... Lol! While they wish they had a concrete slab, but hey no neighbors and the deer don't care if I cut grind and weld all night, haha!

Haha! I heard that! Come on down just anytime.

I got the passenger side 2x6 rocker on, but I used 2x2 tubing to support it, I'm gonna have to cut an angle on them because they hang down further than expected.

Floor pan is totally welded in, just needs grinding, roofing tar, self etch, enamel primer and bed liner. Not much at all aaaarrrrgggggggg..

Ordered 5 15x8 cheap procomps with 3.75 backspace and a hand throttle kit this afternoon. The 33 12.50 wild country's are in stock so I should have lift and tires on early next week.

Last edited:
Oh and 89 Sport... Get that jeep out of the barn!! Lol.

Ill should be getting something done this winter. I need to get the garage ready for the winter but Im so busy from May to mid October working I never get anything done at home.

You got a lot done. Good work ALWAYS WORK SAFE! Get the proper resperator.

As for the deer lurking around, keep your crossbow near. LOL. Archery opened almost a month ago and I havent got out yet.

I wish ours was open, comes in the 15th of October.

I have never even shot a crossbow, I reckon when my shoulder finally gives out I will get one. I started hunting with my recurve 2 years ago and haven't sealed the deal yet. My compound puts meat on the table.

Stay safe out there and send me some pics of those Wisconsin bruisers!

Back