• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No brakes (Abs control unit?)

kith303

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I'm about to purchase an 99 cherokee apparently it has no brakes and the owner claims it's a rear abs control unit that needs replacing? Being a mainly Euro car guy I was thinking he ment abs control module. I've looked online and haven't found such a thing. Maybe he misdiagnosed it and ment rear abs sensor as I don't believe that would cause the no brakes I'd be suspect to believe it would be master cylinder. Anyways I'm looking for a cheap jeep that needs repairs for the winter and this seems like a good buy. Just wondering if any of you veterans have some insight on what's going on here.

I can tell you that I literally just cut my sensor wires off and the only thing that happened is my ABS light came on and I can lock up the wheels now.

If there are "no brakes" there is either a leak in the system or a wheel cylinder/caliper is locked up and not moving when you press on the brake pedal.

I don't know if they salt the roads is MASS, but one of my buddies from Indiana had his brake hard lines rusted through and were rusting.

I've looked online and haven't found such a thing. Maybe he misdiagnosed it and ment rear abs sensor as I don't believe that would cause the no brakes I'd be suspect to believe it would be master cylinder.
The ABS module wouldn't cause a no brakes unless the hydraulic unit failed in some catastrophic manner. Usually they don't.

Most likely something else. If its cheap enough get it.

1997-2001, ABS failure does not result in brake failure. Lots of XJ owners, including me, disable the ABS. The only exception to this would be if the ABS system itself is leaking brake fluid.

Back