• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Reset ECM on 91 Cherokee if no headlight connection

Widnrf1j1

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 CJ with a 91 Cherokee Engine, Transmission and ECM. I am hoping that one of you can tell me how to reset the ECM without a headlight connection.

I harvested the error codes last night and it confirmed that my air intake temperature sensor and distributor needed attention. I replaced both so now I need a reset.

I went through the reset process (remove positive battery cable, touch positive cable to negative cable for 30 seconds, replace positive cable, turn on ignition switch (do not start), turn on lights, turn off lights, turn off ignition switch) last night but it did not clear. This could be due to a short in the headlight switch so a replacement is on the way.

There is also a possibility that the headlights are not wired through the ECM since that was not a necessary circuit to make the vehicle function. If there is no way to reset the ECM without the headlights, can someone tell me what color the wire is that feeds that information to the ECM?

The wire diagram that I found in this forum http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/cherokee/91076b26.pdf does not show a connection to the headlight switch or headlights. It also shows a Purple with Black wire that connects to the Idle Control Motor but my ECM has a purple with black wire that powers the check engine light. This connection provided the codes that confirmed the earlier stated repairs.

If I do the "key dance" after the reset procedure without driving it, should it still show the same error code sequence?

Back