• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil and leaf suggestions.

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ, bumpers, winch, tire carrier.
Long arm, shackle relocation and extended shackle.
Sitting on RC 6.5" coils and RE 4.5" leaf (with shackle and relocation, it levels me out).

Front end up travel feels about right, but when I let my axle droop, there's around 7" of space between the upper bucket and top of coil. Now I know I don't need THAT much droop and I will throw some limit straps on it, but I'd like to at least take up another 3" of that space before limiting. Trying to find a coil that'll give me around 6-6.5" lift (with bumper/winch) that is around 3-4" longer than your average 6.5" coil. I've been looking into this for weeks, but manufacturers typically won't tell you their coil length or spring rate and just expect you to trust that it's going to be right for your application.

On the rear, I've got some old RE 4.5" leafs with a helper leaf installed. Shit doesn't flex at all. I think I can get about 3" up travel and maybe 5" down. I might as well just weld in a steel box between the frame and axle for all the use I get out of the rear. (STIFF!).
Again, manufacturers don't want to talk about spring rate and curve and just hope you'll pay for something.

That said, who's got some idea's on where to look? I know I can get all the data I want if I go to coil overs, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the $4000 bill.
Just trying to find some decent coils and leafs that'll retain my height. Longer coils with possibly a slightly lower spring rate (I think mine are 190lbs/in) and bigger leafs that actually articulate at all.

Thoughts?

*edit*. I guess my rear not flexing might have a lot to do with how far my front articulates (rear doesn't flex so front has to, or I roll).
Should I just get the rear end figured out first, and see how she rolls when I'm not driving a hard tail?

Yup. The PAC chart does make it easier.

Do you know what uncompressed length you need?

Poly performance progressive coils (either a 4.5" with a ACOS or the 6.5") for the front.

For the rears, either start playing with your pack (remove the helper) or look into another set.... (Deaver $$$, ome, I've actually been impressed with iron rock leafs) with the right shackle, and your shackle relocation, you should get decent flex. The flatter the spring the better.

If you can afford it, and have the time, the best thing you could do is to build or buy some ubolt eliminators, with about 1.5" lift built in, that way you could run a 3-3.5" leaf pack and get better flex.

Back