• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opened my NP242 for SYE install, now some bearing/chain questions

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I opened my NP242 to install a new main shaft for a SYE.

The case was surprisingly clean, but the magnet had a little more "mucus" on it and I think a few or all of the bearings should be replaced.

1. The front output shaft could be moved up and down "clunk clunk". The front bearing looked like where it was coming from because I could move the races in and out a little. I'll replace it and the seal.

2. Then I noticed a needle bearing in the cover. How can I test the needle bearing? If I insert the end of the shaft into it, I can move the shaft but I'm not sure if that's a good test. I could always replace it and compare but looking for some insight before dropping the money and dealing with removing it.

3. Since the SYE comes with a new back housing, there is a new bearing and seal so I'm covered there.

4. What is the likelihood that the front bearing is toast? It looks like a bunch more work to R/R that.

5. How can you tell if the chain needs to be replaced? The main shaft can move around quite a bit once you remove the back cover. With it removed, if I tug on the chain I can almost make it appear to hit the case, but if I move the shaft to put tension on the chain it becomes tight. Finally, has anyone tried a NAPA chain? Their part numbers appear to follow the Cloyes/Morse part numbering patter and their chains are $69 with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any ideas why my oil pump seal would be hard, brittle, and broken into pieces? All the other seals in the transmission seemed fine.

Back