• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent stalling .

hairball440

NAXJA Forum User
Why Why Why is my XJ stalling every 30 mins. after i start it I wait an hour or so and it runs awesome ? New MSD coil, fuel filter, crank sensor .Turns over just won't fire up .I need help.It's an 87 4.0L

Do a search for the crank position sensor (CPS). When they start to fail, heat will make them cut out.

Check and see if you have the C101 connector in the wiring harness. It sits just above the brake booster, it's actually two square connectors in the main harness to the engine. The C101 is bad about connections getting loose/corroded and causing the intermittent dead XJ syndrome. Next time it dies give the wire harness on both sides of the connector a good jiggle then try to start it again. My 87 used to do it until I replaced the connectors. Good Luck

Do a search for the crank position sensor (CPS). When they start to fail, heat will make them cut out.

OP said he replaced the crank sensor already.

My XJ did this with the coil, then with the CPS.

If it's trying to start, it sounds like it's just not getting spark. Anything else wrong with the plugs or wires? Replace the cap/rotor?

NO JOY.Cleaned the C-101,Cleaned every ground,Repaired a half broken (internally) wire from MSD box to new MSD coil.Thought that was it for sure,new crank sensor,New cap,rotor and distributor too.Runs for 28 minutes exactly,shuts off for an hour +/- .Lots of juice,fuel pump running,no fire.New fuel filter too.Runs 28 mins.,full throttle or idling in yard doesn't matter then dies.Like it's on a clock.

OP said he replaced the crank sensor already.

He certainly did mention it but if he replaced it with an Autozone, Oreilly, or other crappy house brand there is a great chance that it is bad from the get-go. I burned through 3 crappy house brands before I fixed it with a dealer CPS. And it's easy enough to test them to be sure.:cheers:

I wiggled the C-101,truck started, died twice(never done that before).Wiggled the snot outta'vit , to set the pins good.started right up.I hope we're on to somethin' . Will try tomorrow and see if i stays runnin'.

I did all the cleaning and checking to mine, which worked... for a while. When the issues started again I went ahead and cut the connector out and replaced it with a pair of connectors from a Chrysler something or other out of the junk yard and haven't had a problem since, that was 5 years ago. You can just solder the wires together without a connector but I prefer the ability to disconnect the chassis wiring harness from the engine wiring harness in one spot. Good luck.

I did all the cleaning and checking to mine, which worked... for a while. When the issues started again I went ahead and cut the connector out and replaced it with a pair of connectors from a Chrysler something or other out of the junk yard and haven't had a problem since, that was 5 years ago. You can just solder the wires together without a connector but I prefer the ability to disconnect the chassis wiring harness from the engine wiring harness in one spot. Good luck.

I'm beginning to encourage people to eliminate the C101.

I've had excellent results. So much so, that I did a write-up with photos.
Post 27 in the link.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

After wiggling the C-101(limited results),many times i replaced the ballast resistor.The truck ran for an hour & a half.I always carry a spare in my mopar cars (no start).This time it's (half hour stall).Different symptoms same animal ? I'm pretty sure now the ballast resistor was the offending part.It was gettin' WICKED hot.

I see i have alot of awesome postings here to go over.THANK YOU SOOO MUCH . The pride I've always had for my XJ has been renewed .You guys are the best. Test Drive Tomorrow .

Only makes the fuel pump quieter ? So you don't think it's the problem then ? Should i revisit the C101 ? Ceramic 2 wire "coil resistor" ,I guess it's called.

Last edited:
Back