• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 88 build full widths on 38s

nathan9mile

NAXJA Forum User
I started this project in feb of 2013 I just never did a build thread on it over here but I have lurked a lot. I did take a lot of pictures along the way so I guess I will post up to its current state. Anyway onto the fun lol.
I started with a 88 xj that I bought already lifted it was to say the least a big pos. Plans where full width axles out of a 79 ford on 38in tires low cog setup.
I started in the back got all the stock axles and springs ect out one of the scary things about this jeep I found was that it had been hit hard before these are the rear frame rails :scared: so this changed the build a little
so I made the decision to do a little extra cutting lol

I picked up a stick of 3x3 3/16s square tube to build new rear frame rails out of. I went ahead and slid the new frame rails into the old rails 14ins and they will be tied into using frame stiffeners.

Here it is all with the new rails all made and mocked up having to do this added a lot of fab time to the build and being this was my first build of this size it is taking a little extra time lol

The donor truck I found was a 79 f250 3/4 ton with a d44 front and full float d60 rear. I no a d44 is kind of pushing it for this build but its what I ended up with.

all cleaned up of the factory brackets

Using a tnt truss you have to trim the drivers side spring perch off. The line shows how much has to be removed

After a lot of patience with a cutting wheel I got it all removed

I got the truss all welded on and just to state it for the record after getting farther along in this project and all the issues with the truss I would never go this route again!

Being cheap I bought 1.25 heims from ruff stuff and a stick of 2in .250 wall square stock and built my own y link and crossmember

Im missing a few photos but you guys no what a home built track bar looks like ect. This is pure mock up here to make sure everything clears and to check ride height ect. This is sitting on 4.5 springs in the front with 38-12.50 16.5 tsl's

That's enough pictures for tonight :cheers:

Great build. I have the same axles with 37 Iroks.

Using a tnt truss you have to trim the drivers side spring perch off. The line shows how much has to be removed

After a lot of patience with a cutting wheel I got it all removed
Sorry that's just plain stupid, have no idea why people do this or manufacturers recommend this, you just took all the strength out if that housing, its a million times better to modify the truss/brackets instead

the way they build the truss there is no way to just trim the truss to make it fit without doing it. there is no room for the coil bracket and the lower control arm mount would run straight into the casting. there is a large amount removed but its no weaker then the long side tube. now both sides are pressed in the same just no spring perch. im not even to the plug welds yet. Im not defending that its the best way or anything considering im not a fan of this truss either lol

The rear of the jeep needed more clearance for the tires to keep it low cog so I cut some more out. I raised the rear floor 7ins above the new frame rails and moved the tank to on top of the rails to give me more room for the rearend.

The rear of the jeep is riding on 63in chevy leafs
there's a lot more pics but ill just bring it up to current
I switched to a set of twb bead locks also

stock wheel base is 101 this is sitting at 112.

the way they build the truss there is no way to just trim the truss to make it fit without doing it. there is no room for the coil bracket and the lower control arm mount would run straight into the casting. there is a large amount removed but its no weaker then the long side tube. now both sides are pressed in the same just no spring perch. im not even to the plug welds yet. Im not defending that its the best way or anything considering im not a fan of this truss either lol
I've personally seen a d44 and 2 d60's cut the same way and fail.

Like I said im not arguing the fact its not right I wish I would of done more research instead of listening to this company but it is what it is at this point. If it fails a d60 will find a new home lol

Seems like you got the fab skills to build your own truss. When the 44 fails you can use those skills on your new axle

Got pics of those that failed? I find it hard to believe that it would break if done properly. Like he said there is just as much tube in the housing as the other side now.

here's one

100_1571.jpg

That's interesting to see for sure. I wonder what they were doing to break it. None the less it broke I will have to say they cut into the spot weld where I did not but none the less it is weaker. That's why we make these threads to show our idea's and to get information. Unfortunately I wish I would have seen a thread like this before I trusted the company I got my truss from and did the mod to my axle. Hopefully someone will find this thread before they do this to there's. I have to much money in this axle housing to just toss it. So I will see if I will wheel this hard enough to ruin this one, if I do like I said d60 time

It doesn't look like there was a truss to hold that busted d44 together...

XJLI posted a pic of the axle I ran in my old XJ about 4-5 years ago.

It was an HP44 narrowed to waggy width by Clayton with their TJ/XJ bracket kit welded on. I bought it used from someone that had paid Clayton for that work.

There was no truss on it and the following is what did it in:

IMG_1017.jpg

Since you've trussed it and are only planning on crawling with it, I bet it lasts just fine.

Back