• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

With flange SYE can you use a front driveshaft as a rear driveshaft

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
With flange SYE can you use a front driveshaft as a rear driveshaft as long as the lengths are comparable?

Is there a strength difference between the two (unless you upgrade) ?

Thanks!

With the flange SYE (like Rubicon Express hack and tap) you need Spicer adapter 211229x in order to attach a front shaft in the rear. I've run one for the las 8 years without issue.

Is all of the above true for both automatics and stick shifts?

I ask because no one has said a word about what transmission this applies to.

I have a 97 XJ AW4 NP242.

Finished installing the SYE. Works like a champ. Has a lot less play in the rear output too. I found the bearing was actually moving around in the original tail housing.

While I was in the transfer case I changed the front output shaft bearing, seal, and the oil pump seal. The rest seemed fine.

It was more work removing the transfer case drop. Had to get the engine and transmission mounts and exhaust all lined up.

I'm not sure if you could use a front driveshaft in the rear if you had a manual and NP231.

With my driveline the front driveshaft slip joint was practically not extended at all for the rear.

But the AW4 NP242 setup takes the shortest driveshaft.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Good stuff to know.

Back