• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtiest transmission fluid ever?

workman13

NAXJA Forum User
So I have had my jeep a little over 3 months. Done alot of maintenance on it so far. Was having issues while driving down the highway, it randomly would downshift for a couple seconds then go back. It did this at any speed and didn't matter how much gas I was giving it. Changed the transmission fluid today and it was as dark as oil after 3000+ miles. Could that have been the issue or something else? I drove it a little bit to try it out and it was doing it still at first but didn't do it on the way home. It doesn't always do it so not sure if it's fixed yet. Just curious if that could have been the issue or possibly something else?

Its quite possible the only cause. There are other things that can cause transmission shifting issues, such as a TPS on its way out.

The tps is recently replaced. I have replaced about every dang sensor possible on it due to issues it had. The only one I haven't is the IAC. Hopefully changing it a few times will help.

It can take a while to clean out dirty systems with fluid changes, because the new fluid will clean build up on the dirty parts. Eventually it will stay clean for longer intervals.

A few more changes should clean it out. Its pretty dirty, but I have seen AW4s with fluid like that before restored to a nice color.

Did you do the initial change 3k miles ago, or did someone else do it?

Sorry Talyn, I meant it was as dark as oil after 3000 miles. I have never changed it. I haven't even drove it 1000 miles since I got it.
Cruiser mine is a 97 sport

ya that can do it. So can bad tranny solenoids. Do drain and fills until it comes out clean.

I've always read that if your transmission is especially neglected and filthy inside that cleaning it too suddenly is not necessarily a good thing. Transmission fluid is high in detergent and can dislodge things that you don't want dislodged all at once. It may be better to plan to do drain/fill over a period of time not suddenly to give things a chance to slowly improve and not risk causing more harm than good.

I am no transmission expert and am dealing with my own transmission woes at the moment however.

Drain and fills will be fine. Just don't have some one do a power
flush on it. I did 4 drain and fills in a day on my wife's Honda Odyssey when we bought it. 50 k miles later, all is well.

Back