• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock sound in front left

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 3" lift, 4.0, 231J, 400K miles.

I have been hearing a knock sound coming form the front left side. I am guessing that it is 1) Lower control arm, 2) Tie rod, 3) Ball joint, 4) Steering box bracket.

I am not mechanical and can't fix much myself, but I like to know what is what so when I bring it to a garage on Monday, I can make sure they check all the items I can suggest.

I just had my oil changed at a quick change place, and they say they can't see anything obvious, of course, they are not that mechanical either.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks-
Jeffy-97XJ

Could be a control arm bushings.
Could be worn acme threads if you have adjustable lowers.
Could be a U-Joint, but usually makes more noise when turning.
Could also be the lower fender bolts behind the front tire. I had that noise for months and kept chasing bushing and links.

Easy way to check is find someone you REALLY TRUST and have them move the rig forward and backward a very short distance while you lay under the front axle and look at it and feel it with your hands. If you have the clearance to lay flat and not get hit its a great way to find odd noises.

I maintain a very small life insurance policy so my wife is not tempted to turn when we do this and collect ;) ,

John

Could be a control arm bushings.
Could be worn acme threads if you have adjustable lowers.
Could be a U-Joint, but usually makes more noise when turning.
Could also be the lower fender bolts behind the front tire. I had that noise for months and kept chasing bushing and links.

Easy way to check is find someone you REALLY TRUST and have them move the rig forward and backward a very short distance while you lay under the front axle and look at it and feel it with your hands. If you have the clearance to lay flat and not get hit its a great way to find odd noises.

I maintain a very small life insurance policy so my wife is not tempted to turn when we do this and collect ;) ,

John

Thank you so much for these ideas, i would have never though of some of them. My knock only comes when turning, so the U-Joint will get a good looking over. Thanks a lot for your help.

...knock only comes when turning, so the U-Joint will get a good looking over.

Track bar should be suspected, as should any suspension bushings. U-joints typically make the steering wheel wiggle, make a rhythmic clicking as they go bad, or make a knocking noise if they are seriously failed.

Back