• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8-1/4 carriers - trac lol vs open

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a difference in the carrier between the LSD and open variants?

Is there a noticeable difference in strength between 27 and 29 versions?

Thanks

Yes there is a difference one is more square to house the clutch plates and side gears and spider gears. The open one is rounded. It houses side and spider gears. I believe the 27 spline is 1.17 axle diameter. The 29 spline is 1.21 diameter. .040 larger. 29 is stronger by how much that I don't know.

Another question,

On my open 8-1/4 I can freely spin both wheel hubs with very little force.

On my 8-1/4 LSD that's making metal it takes a LOT more force to turn either hub.

Both have no brake shoes etc.

Is this a normal behavior of the LSD or likely related to bearing failure etc.?

I think it's the LSD.
For bearings to be making it hard to turn... things would have to be totally F*ed.

That's what the LSD does. That's normal.

Chrysler has been using the 8.25 in various variants for years.

The Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths from the 80's on all got them instead of the lighter 7.25 or much heavier 8.75 (Both out of production by the 80's. You'd find them behind Volare's, Road Runners, etc. IIRC you'd also find them under light pickups.

Jeep started using them when Chrysler bought them.
Forum Lore states that the 29 Spline axles from 97+ units are stronger than the 27 Spline versions from earlier units. YMMV :D

Early LSDs for the 8.25 were Auburn units with cone shaped driver gears instead of clutches. They are known for making metal and when the cone hits the bottom of the carrier it stops working.
Later versions are Spicers and have replaceable clutches.
Whichever LSD you have, you must use a Friction Modifier or it will not work smoothly.

To discover the existence of, and test a LSD without removing the cover, is a 2 fold process for most folks.

Jack Up the Back End and put it on Stands.
With the Transmission in P (Or 1st) grab a rear tire and turn it as if it was rolling forward.
a) Open Rear: The wheel will turn easily and the other tire will turn the Opposite direction
b) LSD: The tire will turn, but it will take a lot of effort. The other wheel will turn the opposite direction:

Now with the Transmission in N:
a) Open: The tire will spin easily and the other tire will turn opposite, and sometimes the DS turns instead.
b) LSD: Both tires move in the same direction and the DS turns.

HTH and is not too confusing.

-Ron

Thanks I'm guessing the bearings are shot in my 97 8-1/4 LSD but the clutches are fine. I'll know more if and when I tear into it. It's my first LSD rear end so I appreciate the feedback. The JY 8-1/4 has an open diff and works as very other open diff I've ever had.

Back