• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/c clutch intermittent

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
My a/c stops blowing cold at times. I have traced it down to an intermittent a/c clutch. There is always power to the clutch when the a/c in on. On hot days the clutch will disengage if you take a wooden down and just lightly thought the outer edge of the clutch it will engage again. system is charged properly and all senors are good. I concluded it is weak clutch. See this a lot on Dodge trucks. Had anyone taken the clutch apart and cleaned it. I'm being cheap. Don't want to spend $200.00 plus on a compressor.

you may be able to just adjust the airgap between the pulley and hub. Chase the specification down and check yours.

There's also the possibility of replacing just the clutch. It will probably require special tools but those can be rented from a well equipped parts store.

IIRC, OP works at a Chryco dealer. So, special tools should be somewhere there.

Eric, which vehicle is this for? I have my original Renix AC comp sitting in my garage.

Maybe swap a boneyard clutch in?:dunno:

Remove the clutch plate and take some shims out.

If that fixes it you saved $200.

If it doesn't, buy a new compressor.

md is right, your best bet is to take a shim out. You'll still need a modified spanner wrench to grab the clutch, but if you've got access to specialty tools that won't be an issue.

Best of luck!

I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Back