• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I install rear Dana 44 wheel bearings?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear Dana 44 that I need to put new wheels bearings in. The old bearings and retinaer rings have been removed I now need to put the new ones one but I know they need to be pressed on. My question is if I put the shafts in the freezer and heated up the rings and bearings in the oven, could those be enough to then drop them on and hammer them home with a long pipe or tubing slipped over the shaft? Anyone tried this or think it would work?

The garage around the corner from me charged $10 cash to use the press. Look for a mom and pop type shop that doesn't look up every job in book to see what it should cost.

Yes you can. I did mine without freezing the shafts using the pipe and mallet method. Just to avoid a possible hiccup support the center of the flange so you are not beating against the wheel studs so you don't knock any of them out or bugger the ends up.

It'd be easier to just take it to a local garage and have them pressed on, shouldn't cost you a whole lot of $$$, find a mom & pop shop, those guys are usually willing to do stuff like that vs a chain.

A case of cold beer on a Friday afternoon at most shops will put you at the front of the line and out the door in 10 minutes.

HF 20 ton shop press is like 150$ with coupon. And it comes in handy all the time.The you can charge your fiends 10$ each to press on bearings to cover the costs if you are cheap.

i was gonna say

you can do it yes

the failure mode if you get it wrong tends to be pretty severe

better to find someone, anyone, with a press..

Back