• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator wiring question old vs new

J.tucker84

NAXJA Forum User
So I have run into a little bit of an issue. I have a 97 XJ and the alternator crapped out so I decided it was time to upgrade it to the 160 amp alternator because the 90 amp one doesn't keep up with my winch very well and plan to add lights etc... I ordered one from auto zone (part no. 12329 suggested on another build thread) but once it came in and I pulled the old one out I realized I ordered one that was the plug style that would work with a 99+ XJ but mine is the old prong style. So here is what I want to know
Since I am upgrading the wiring to the battery etc. and have the wires basically all apart, can I re-wire the connection to work with the newer style plug? it looks like the thick black wire that goes to a ground and the 2 small green wires that go into the "black box" are the field wires that maybe I can splice to a plug from a newer XJ?
I know the simple solution would be to just go back to the parts store and swap it for one with the correct connections but the closest auto zone is a 30 minute drive and trying to figure out the correct part number, and waiting for it on special order again. It looks rather simple but haven't seen anyone else do it on any forums I've tried searching so it has me wondering if there's more complicated than it seems.

Here's a writeup, swapping a 160amp from a 2003 Dodge Durango.

You may need to do some grinding on the bracket and engine block if the alternator uses a larger case. There is usually only enough room for the smaller case alternators.

Some of the larger case aftermarket alternators come with a special oval bracket and there would be no grinding involved. The aftermarket brackets are normally sold separately from the alternator.

Last edited:
Yea I knew that I was going to have to do some grinding, I was just hesitant to start cutting wires incase there was more to that little black box in the alternator than I knew of. That write up is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Alright, so I finally got the plug to splice into the field wires and got everything required and hooked up, and alternator is installed. I started the jeep up and I'm seeing issues, I didn't have time to get my voltage meter or do much to it but here is what I'm seeing at first glance and I'll investigate more after work today. My gauges for the most part don't seem to be working. Not reading rpms, or oil pressure and voltage meter says a steady 9 volts I let the jeep idle for a few minutes and reved it up a few times with no change in volts. Tried shutting it off and turning it back on and the only change is the check engine light came on. Oh and my airbag light is on. My first guess is a bad ground somewhere which I will be checking later, I'm also wondering if I could have hooked up the field wires backwards? I read that it doesn't make a difference which way those two are wired to the plug. What size ANL fuse should I be using in between the alternator and Fusebox/battery? I put a 175 amp on in there, should I use a smaller one, like a 150 with the 160amp alternator?

Last edited:
Figured it out, I had a bad ground, runs good now, charging around 14 volts

I think an alternator fuse is suppose to be approximately the alternator rated output plus 10 percent.

Older XJ's used a mega-fuse on the front of the PDC. Newer XJ's use a fuse link. After grinding down the head of a 5/16" carriage bolt it slipped it into the empty slot so a mega-fuse can be installed.

I read somewhere that Chrysler changed to a fuse link because some of their vehicles were blowing the mega-fuse. The PDC also has two large fuses that protect the PDC circuits.

Maxi-fuse does produce a slow blow Mega-Fuse but the amp selection is more limited.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114880

Back