• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Police ECU or not?

First, thanks to the guys that helped me diagnose my failed voltage regulator. I learned a lot. Couldn't have done it without you.

Second, my local parts stores says that there is a police ECU option for my heap. Can anybody tell me what the difference is? Not really interested in top speed, but higher shift points and or a high idle switch would be cool. Not sure if HIS does it by itself or if it needs the ECU?

96 HO, AW4, NP231, D30/D8.25, 31x10.50, RC 3in lift

The computer itself is the same. The jeep parts listing shows the same part number for police/non-police.

The difference is in the firmware loaded on the computer. I have been down this road because I'd like to get the extended idle going.

The bad thing is that the dealer (at least mine) can't/won't program the non-police computer with the police firmware. They told me when they flash a pcm they go off the vin # and if your vin is non-police then you get the non-police firmware.

I'd love for someone with a 96 police package to loan me their vin, though I'm still not sure my jeep dealer would do it.

The other thing, maybe someone like FlyinRyan could do it.

Jason

The guy in the thread I linked has a 96 and did the switch mod.

Quote from CommandoXJ96 on this thread, post #41...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=fuse+box+location&page=3

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

The guy in the thread I linked has a 96 and did the switch mod.

I didn't see what year he has but I just read the entire thread and it's pretty clear it doesn't work on 96.

In post# 90 the op even admits it doesn't work on a 96.

If anyone has actually done this on a 96 I'd love to know how they did it.

Jason

Re: Re: Police ECU or not?

After reading all this, I don't understand what the purpose of the mod, what are the advantages?
Raises the idle. Improves alternator function to keep the battery from discharging with all the emergency lights running.
In a wheeling application this is useful when using a winch or on board air.

Raises the idle. Improves alternator function to keep the battery from discharging with all the emergency lights running.
In a wheeling application this is useful when using a winch or on board air.

Hmm. that is interesting . I like that idea.
In renix I wonder if I could wire in a 3 pole switch to go normal,

Quote from CommandoXJ96 on this thread, post #41...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=fuse+box+location&page=3

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

Thanks for posting this plan on doing it for my "99" a very useful app for off road use lights, winching. Learn something new everyday here it seems about my XJ.

The 96 "Police" and Non/police ecu are exactly the same in terms of the calibration data, same goes for the later years. Also pulling pin A32 to ground will enable the extended idle function. I added a 4 position switch panel and an extended idle switch into my rig and modified the calibration to have a 1200 rpm extended idle.

The 96 "Police" and Non/police ecu are exactly the same in terms of the calibration data, same goes for the later years. Also pulling pin A32 to ground will enable the extended idle function. I added a 4 position switch panel and an extended idle switch into my rig and modified the calibration to have a 1200 rpm extended idle.

What year do you have?

Back