• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Trouble

Lanthanaas

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, guys. 89 Cherokee 6 cylinder 4.0L

Here's the problem: When turning the wheel, it's difficult for a few inches and then gets easier. Then it gets harder, and then it gets easier. This happens in both directions.

When I checked the fluid, it was almost off the dipstick. I filled the fluid and the problem got better, but not much. All my normal knowledge base buddies said to replace the power steering pump.

Replacing the power steering pump was the most aggravating project I have done on my Jeep so far. It's brand new and the fluid is at the correct level. I bled the system by turning the wheels to both extremes a few times. It seemed to be functioning, but the last few times it was creating a high pitched whining. It was only when I was turning the wheel while stationary.

I drove it around the parking block and the varying difficulty in turning problem is much better, but still present. The squealing was not present while traveling and turning. Very discouraging...

Looking for any direction to go next. I haven't seen much to suggest anything else as the culprit.

We started the engine several times, filling to the line each time. Then we rotated the tires from one extreme to the other, filling between runs. It's maintained its level the last couple times. I thought that meant the air would be out of the system. Am I mistaken?

With the fluid that is in jeep pumps you need to cycle the tires from lock to lock 20-30 times in order the get all the air out

Well I had gone lock to lock probably 10-15 times before. I just tried doing it another 30 and the screeching has returned. Particularly when turning hard left. The resistance has gotten worse, again, on another test drive. It does seem to happen at particular and consistent intervals in the rotation of the steering wheel. Is there something else in the power steering system that could cause this?

I would crawl under it and have a look while someone cycles the steering and see if anything is binding up.

I just tried doing it another 30 and the screeching has returned.

Do you mean screeching as in a belt slipping? There is alot more pressure on the pump and therefore more on the belt when you crank the wheel. Is your serpenyine belt tight enough. It's gotta be pretty %$#@ ing tight. A tension guage (Kricket II) only costs a few dollars. 185 new/165 or so when used.

What are you using for fluid (P/S fluid or ATF)?

Do you mean screeching as in a belt slipping? There is alot more pressure on the pump and therefore more on the belt when you crank the wheel. Is your serpenyine belt tight enough. It's gotta be pretty %$#@ ing tight. A tension guage (Kricket II) only costs a few dollars. 185 new/165 or so when used.

What are you using for fluid (P/S fluid or ATF)?

I thought it sounded like a slipping belt. It didn't occur to me that the added resistance could cause it to slip only when turning. Tightening seems to have fixed the sound, so that's probably what it was. I didn't have a gauge, but one of the things I read online was to tighten until the belt could only twist 90 degrees at the longest segment.

The Chilton manual I have called for Dex 3. The mechanic at the auto parts store pointed me to ATF that said it was appropriate for anything calling for Dex 3. I'm using the O'reilly brand.

Back