• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New, and which locker?

devile

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

Haven't been on here since about 2008 when I sold my Jeep. I wanted to get back into the Jeep world for the past year or so and have been keeping my eye out for what I want. Well, here she is
IMG_43451_zpscab4e647.jpg
(hope that worked)

I'm just working on getting it up to spec to make it safe for driving, typical balljoints, brakes and crap. I am also building a Dana 44 for the rear, and regearing to 4.56.

My question is, Should I go lunchbox front and rear, or spend more money and get a detroit truetrac or go even more and go selectable (which I just don't like)

Thanks in advance :).

All about what you wanna do, how your gonna do it, and how much you wanna spend!

Cheapest route- lunch box. I've been running lock right front and Aussie rear (on 2 different jeeps) for years

Full case are definitely stronger, and pretty much gonna have to run one sooner or later on the dana 30 if your going 35" or bigger....

But again, all depends on what you want to do(how much you wanna spend) and tire size/ what kind of wheeling your going to do

HAHA, fair enough. I'll be a weekend wheeler with a commuter during the week, mostly highway. I don't want to spend a lot. Currently on 33's, but going 4.56 in hopes to move to 35's in the next year or so.

I'm thinking Aussie for both front and rear for the time being, then upgrade when it breaks. Also long as it doesn't wreck my 4.56 then I don't complain about having to upgrade once it breaks. I'll have more money then lol

no problem with lunchbox's. myself, i prefer an auto locker up front and selectable in the rear.. on tighter trails and loose surfaces you can turn sharper with an open rear.

Had to make the same decision as you early this year and decided to do it right the first time, went with the Detroit Lockers front and rear with 4.56 gears.

Detroit front, ARB rear.

I have been very unimpressed with lunchbox lockers in Dana 30s. Watched a number of them fail on the trail.

If you have an NP242 TC and use the full-time 4WD for highway driving, you will need a selectable front locker. You would not want to drive on pavement at high speed with the front wheels locked. Just throwing that out there on the off chance it applies to your situation.

I second the notion that a lunchbox is not the best choice for the front. Its especially questionable if you are going to run 35's. I broke a carrier in half using an aussie. I also have had some bad luck with detroit in a D30. My rear detroit has been trouble free. I am running a Grizzly in the front now and no issues for a couple of years. If you can afford a selectable they are great.

WOW, thanks for all the responses. Good point about not wanting to run a locker up front down the highway, as there will be times in the winter where I will likely have to do that, or want to. I have the 231, so that would make it even worse I guess. May have to go selectable up front with my trutrac in the back, arg, and the $$$ go up... Or a locker up front with a manual conversation haha, only lock one hub... KIDDING! Thanks for all the input, I'll keep everyone posted :)

for stock axles i would stick with lunchboxes unless theres a killer deal on something else anything more expensive than a lunchbox is better spent on other axles

WOW, thanks for all the responses. Good point about not wanting to run a locker up front down the highway, as there will be times in the winter where I will likely have to do that, or want to. I have the 231, so that would make it even worse I guess. May have to go selectable up front with my trutrac in the back, arg, and the $$$ go up... Or a locker up front with a manual conversation haha, only lock one hub... KIDDING! Thanks for all the input, I'll keep everyone posted :)
A manual lockout setup will run you as much, if not more than a selectable setup. If required to drive in adverse conditions on the pavement, either open or selectable is the best way to go.
for stock axles i would stick with lunchboxes unless theres a killer deal on something else anything more expensive than a lunchbox is better spent on other axles
As far as the D30 goes, it is much more reliable to run a full case locker, as it is stronger. Whether it be a detroit or similar, or selectable.

May have to go selectable up front with my trutrac in the back, arg, and the $$$ go up
I have tried a lot of different combinations of traction devices before staying with a Trutrac in the rear and a E-Locker in the front, alloy axles all the way around.
This combo works for a DD that is also towed out and run on trails in remote places.
If it was a dedicated off-road machine, it would have a Detroit or a selectable in the rear, for a solid lockup.

For a DD, a Detroit Locker or lunchbox, in the rear, can be handful on slippery pavement. The Trutrac doesn't lockup hard, it can still spin the car sideways if you get into it but it's less likely to cause problems.
The E-Locker has been trouble free, although it doesn't get used often but when it's needed, it's there. When not needed, it gets turn off, as it makes steering very difficult at times. I prefer the control of a selectable in the front.
When they first came out, I tried an ECTED in the D30 and it was a very interesting and fun to drive in the dirt. Tight limited slip and, energized, near total lockup...when new, 30,000 miles later, it didn't work anymore.
When new it also made steering difficult on slick surfaces. Maybe they are different now, who knows.

Back