• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rewire the plug for my winch?

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally getting around to mounting the VR 8000 winch i have owned for almost a year.
I built a bumper that keeps the winch very low as to not block my radiator,then it came time mount the solenoid box. It don't really want it on the front of the jeep because of the airflow and bashing it on trees, and i'm trying to keep as much of the grill as i can. So under the hood is looking like the plan. Next problem is where to put it so i can connect the plug easily. Then i came up with a thought that looks good on paper but want some one to tell me it will actually work.
I want to mount the box under the hood then pull the plug out of the box and lengthen the 5 wires by about 4 feet and mount the plug by itself on the grill or some bracket i make. Would this work or not?

If you're going that far, why not put the plug in your cab? or for that matter just a toggle switch.

I really like my in-cab control.
No need to leave the drivers seat when someone else gets stuck and needs a tug.
Unless its a situation that actually requires my assistance, in which case i am more than happy to get out and help.

Re: Re: Rewire the plug for my winch?

X2. I Put In A Toggle And Kill Switch So The Kids Dont Mess With It.

No Need For The remote
Did this for mine, a heavy duty grounded extension cord works great for the wiring (in, out, ground) it is insulated and jeeps it clean. a toggle is a must so it doesnt get used by mistake.

I almost never use my controller anymore.

X2. I Put In A Toggle And Kill Switch So The Kids Dont Mess With It.

The keep the vandals from shorting the plug, I added a 4-wiret trailer-light plug in the cord, coming from the plug to the relay box.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2659521323/in/set-72157604557867782
I leave it unplugged for DD use.

The Warn remote is long enough to pull through the window and use from the driver's seat as well as for exterior use. I'm running out of room for dash switches anyway.

Back