• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 zj 4.0 rebuild questions

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
This will be an ongoing thread with updates along the way.Im not a pro engine builder so I wanted to start this thread for advice on parts im looking at along the way.(although ive rebuilt a 2.5 jeep years ago but was young and not so wise so who knows if it was done correctly)
This rebuild will be done on small budget so im not going all out on new everything like I did on my xj
Ok so here we go:
Ive got the 4.0 outta my newly aquired zj disassembled on my engine stand because it had a nasty high pitched tap that I really thought was a cracked flex plate but that checked out fine.
im leaning towards wrist pin but still have to pull pistons out.

some background:
177k miles overall
oil psi was around 40 psi hot idle so im confident mains and rod bearings are prob ok but ill plastigage all that tomorrow and report back...
Engine ran strong and idled smooth...
noise really lessened when temp got around 210...initially thought piston slap but dont think so because my 89 has it (typical of the 4.0) and this sounds more severe

Lifters are dished so they will need replaced...may reuse old cam and treat it to a proper cam break in
cylinders are not scored and still have factory cross hatch...

Last edited:
I dont really see anything unusal here at this stage except for evidence of running rich due to bad coolant sensor. (Thats what the message center claims on this zj and I believe it because gas mileage is horrible)
if something jumps out at you at anytime point it out to me...

Last edited:
Looks like the rings are toasted....wish I would've done a compression test before tear down.
ill get a pic of the pistons all the skirts are scuffed....

Back