• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering lines at gear

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I am changing the power steering pressure line on my 97. Getting into it, the formed metal lines coming off the gear overlap each other and touch or nearly touch. Since these lines look factory I'm assuming this is the way it came from the factory. This seems dumb. Am I missing something?

nope. that's how they are routed in order to clear all the crap down there.

The contact between the lines is not that big a deal, and they're stiff enough so that nearly touching is not touching, but on many, the PS line crosses right on top of the lower radiator hose, and will eat into it eventually. It sawed right into the hose on my 87. It's a good idea to put some kind of protective sleeve over the hose where they cross. On a couple of mine, I used a piece of aluminum, held on with a couple of wire ties.

This is one reason why I buy dealer cooling system hoses. The lower hoses have a protective mesh so the power steering will never directly touch the rubber as well as the metal spring. The upper radiator hose has the plastic sleeve so it won't rub against the A/C compressor.

I got the lines back on. It wasn't that bad even though I didn't have the best tool selection. I think an 18mm flare nut crowfoot would be best. The pump side of the pressure line is 16mm though 5/8 works fine. Both lines at the gear are 18mm.

I got the lines back on. It wasn't that bad even though I didn't have the best tool selection. I think an 18mm flare nut crowfoot would be best. The pump side of the pressure line is 16mm though 5/8 works fine. Both lines at the gear are 18mm.

I use a crowfoot on those.. bought specifically for that job, you are correct. it is the best.

Back