• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter housing o-ring, use RTV?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj 4.0 auto 4x4

I replaced the housing adapter o-rings back in 06 and have a leak again(confirmed with UV dye). I am wondering, should I use black RTV this time? I remember seeing a thread where a few people recommended using a little RTV but I can't seem to find that thread again even though I know I just saw it. I don't want to start gooping RTV all over the place either...

Side note, I really love the UV dye kit for finding leaks, this is my first experience using dye. Its really insightful seeing the glowing oil and the path it traveled before eventually spitting down onto the exhaust.

I've done two of these and they never had any RTV or gasket residue from the factory or any from possible PO. The O-rings were flat when I took them off. The new O-rings were "puffy" or full. I soaked them in oil for awhile and then wiped most of the oil off, then installed them. 5 yrs. and 3 yrs. with no leaks.

I've always used just a smear - but, I think it's more important to make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN.

Why did I use RTV? Made it easier to keep the o-rings in place in the flat grooves (I used a smear of grease on the one on the through screw, just so the ring wouldn't chafe or scuff. Again, make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN.)

You can also use a smear of grease - for much the same reason. If you chafe or scuff the o-rings putting them in, they'll usually leak (sometimes, you get lucky.)

I've always used just a smear - but, I think it's more important to make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN.

Why did I use RTV? Made it easier to keep the o-rings in place in the flat grooves (I used a smear of grease on the one on the through screw, just so the ring wouldn't chafe or scuff. Again, make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN.)

You can also use a smear of grease - for much the same reason. If you chafe or scuff the o-rings putting them in, they'll usually leak (sometimes, you get lucky.)

Thanks for that, could not find your reply to an older thread that I had come across.

I shouldn't complain I guess that they are leaking again being that they lasted 8 years since the last replacement but I figure if I can hedge my bets...

Clean O-Ring seats with carb cleaner or whatever then lube new O-Rings I used oil on mine no RTV fine for 2 yrs. now.

Back