• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown Victoria D44 Brake Rubbing

Xhavier_5478

NAXJA Forum User
So I swapped Crown Vic brakes onto my Dana 44 rear axle and it went together fine, but I noticed that it was hesitating from a stop and then all of a sudden would let loose, so I put the rear on jack stands and pulled the wheels off and the passenger side in drive is rubbing enough to stop it and pushing all power to the drivers side wheel, so I engaged the locker and got both rotors spinning and this is what they looked like..

Passenger side,

https://flic.kr/p/oxPEj8

Drivers side,

https://flic.kr/p/oxPqox

So whats bent, the rotors were on with three lug nuts each, and tightened in a star pattern.. the rotors have almost no miles on them..

Help me out where to start on this one..

Swap rotors side to side and see if the problem moves with the rotor.

Most likely it is either a severely warped rotor or a bent axle flange.

Make sure there's no rust or any buildup underneath the hat where it mates to the flange. Use a wire brush to get rid of any surface rust. If that is clean and the rotor is mounted tight against the flange then you have a bent axle flange.

Help me out where to start on this one..
Instead of looking at the edge of the rotor, look at the end of the axle shaft. If the shaft is bent, the very center will move in a circular pattern.

So I just picked up a set of Dana 44 Alloy USA replacement shafts and I'm confused, one flange looks like my stock shaft, access hole for the retainer plate nuts, but the other flange is different, there is no access hole in the face and the O.D. is smaller, is this right or did I get one wrong shaft in the set?

The 44 shafts are slightly different lengths also. Both should have that access hole to tighten the retainer plates.

So I spoke with the shop I bought them from and they had another set they had just gotten from Alloy USA and the same setup, they were different lengths, and matched the old axles for length, the hole in the face for tightening down the retainer plate wasn't a huge concern it was more the variance in the outer flange diameter, but none the less, I got them installed and the run out on the face is all gone, now I just need to diagnosis the brake drag in the front calipers.

Back