• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Fog light wiring issue

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

My 1997 has factory fog lights. What I don't understand is why they are on with parking lights and headlights. They go out if I pull the relay or if high beans are used. The green light on the switch is always on unless the high beams are on. It's not the switch or the relay as best I can tell. Before I look farther into it, I thought id ask for pointers.

Thanks.

That is how Jeep wired them to work. In several states it is illegal to run fog lights with high beams. There is a way to change it, search for it if you want it different.

I'm not trying to disable to high beam cutout. I'm trying to determine why the fogs come on as soon as the parking lights come on. The switch only indicates that they are on. It doesn't switch them on or off.

I am guessing someone did a wiring modification so they're on like this?

The switch is below the heater controls and your right, the ON-Light will only come on in 2 conditions (Switch On and Parking Lights Only) (Switch On and Low beams ON). In all other conditions, the fogs are extinguished.

If the switch is not ON and the Fogs are on, the switch is bad or bypassed. The switch takes all the current the fogs draw, so they go bad often.

The Relay you pulled is activated when you put your high beams on and cuts the circuit between the switch and fog lights, so by removing it, you broke the connection.

-Ron

Last edited:
Back