• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop impact on motor mounts

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Does a t-case drop screw up motor mounts or their alignment?

I have this new to me 97 XJ. It has a t-case drop. Lift is only 1.5" over stock but was probably 2.5" when first installed (factory UpCountry plus 1.5"). I knew when I bought it one of the motor mounts was busted. I'm trying to change them and it looks like the motor is off 1/2-3/4".

I also noticed the rubber on my old mounts is stretched back about the same.

So I'm wondering if this is related to the t-case drop or something else I'm not thinking off.

Tomorrow when I have more time I'm going to remove the t-case drop and try again, but I thought id post and ask in the meantime.

Thanks.

Stock mounts are junk. You can tear the drivers mount in one wheeling trip. :) As for the TC drop it will put a bit of twist in the mount, not much but it will do it.

Not much at all, have a look a Brown Dog mounts #1 in motor mounts the only set you will ever have to buy.

depends on the amount of drop and condition of the mounts and the type of wheeling you do. Stock mounts die. thats what they do over time. A very slight TC drop like under 1/2" probably wont do too much. a 1.5" drop will help ruin them faster. you are best off with brown dog or MORE mounts.

Effect is somewhere between "negative" and "meh".
No, it isn't good for the mounts.
No, it isn't critical.
The guys who say stock mounts are junk must be beating their stuff harder than I am. For mild trails / street / jacked-up Forest Service roads they are just peachy. I ran Brown Dog rubber mounts and didn't like the vibration. If you are a rock crawler, it's probably worth the vibration to run a stronger mount. Otherwise... screw that. OEM replacements FTW.

A lot of people don't complain with OEM replacements. Cuts down on vibes with rubber. They lasted over 100k miles, what to say the new OEM mounts won't last another 100k?

I had t case drops on my rig for a while, and yes it really stretched my engine mounts to the point that the engine mount was touching the frame mount. Installed the SYE and did away with the drops and the engine mounts went back to the original position.

That's why they say the drops should be considered as a "band-aid" to tidy you over until u save up enough money to do a SYE

A lot of people don't complain with OEM replacements. Cuts down on vibes with rubber. They lasted over 100k miles, what to say the new OEM mounts won't last another 100k?

I had t case drops on my rig for a while, and yes it really stretched my engine mounts to the point that the engine mount was touching the frame mount. Installed the SYE and did away with the drops and the engine mounts went back to the original position.

That's why they say the drops should be considered as a "band-aid" to tidy you over until u save up enough money to do a SYE

Right. I had bought new dealer mounts but have held off putting them in until I do the SYE. I had to pry down on the old mounts just to get them back in. The sleeve on the drivers side old mount separated from the rest of the mount. I'm looking at Tom Wood's SYE. I have a NP242.

The problems with transfer case drop:

1. Reduced ground clearance

2. Strain on motor mounts - found another thread on this where the user was trying to install brown dog or similar and had a problem with the offset.

3. Impact on exhaust hanger and exhaust system alignment

From what I can tell, SYE can be added to either the NP231 or NP242 without removing the back half of the case the transmission. You do need to split the case open.

I might add when I bought my XJ it had a Half A$$ed 3" lift on it blocks and spacers with the transfer case drop kit installed for over 3 yrs. without a mount problem. The stock mounts were still there when I replaced them.

Just out of curiosity, have you take the TC drop out to see if you have drive-line vibes?

Back