• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Tow Package?

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
My wife has a 96 XJ, Country with the factory "tow package". Can anyone tell me what the tow packages adds or takes away?

Thanks

At the very least, it should include a hitch of some sort (hopefully the 2" reciever kind), an aux trans cooler (little mini-radiator in front of the regular one), and slightly stiffer springs.

With a little luck, some of the other regulars can expand on that a bit.

Rob

I have the original sticker for an 89 Laredo with the tow package, and it specifically mentioned the auxillary oil cooler and reciever hitch. I'll look tonight to see what else is listed.

Rob Mayercik said:
At the very least, it should include a hitch of some sort (hopefully the 2" reciever kind), an aux trans cooler (little mini-radiator in front of the regular one), and slightly stiffer springs.
That plus the wiring for the trailer light connection is about it. In '96 I think it also included 75W140 synthetic lube in the rear axle, but you can't see that.

Bummer....

I was hoping to hear that it might have a D44 rear axle. I always seem to forget to look when I get home so I figured I'd just throw up the question.

Thanks

Re: Bummer....

Kevin said:
I was hoping to hear that it might have a D44 rear axle.

No way. That was basically 1987 only. I hear rumors they were still used in '88 and '89, but I have never seen one except in an '87.

I have a '96 XJ Country w/Towing package. From jeep.com customer service, it comes with tranny cooler, class III tow hitch/wiring, 3.55 gears, and 130 amp factory alternator. I can't seem to find anything else unique about the model.

FYI, the rear axle is a Chrysler 8.25.

OEM alternator output?

speaking of 130 amp alternator....how do i know which alternator i have in my 96 4.0 HO XJ Sport? (no factory tow pkg)

is it something like 80 amp or so?

when mine goes....i was thinking of either getting it "tweaked" by the rebuilder (how high can they juice it up to?) or getting a mean green one.

CaptTrev

If you go to www.jeep.com, contact us, customer service and send them an email with your VIN number, they will email you back the entire spec sheet for your jeep. I've done this with my '98 YJ and my '96 XJ and they've gotten back to me within a week. That's how I found out about the rear axle, gear ratios, tranny type, and alternator output. Jeep's response will give you every detail about your jeep to the nat's a**.

On my 95, the towing package added a class III receiver hitch, the wiring for it and the plug for the trailer wiring part, a heavy duty radiator (it also comes with the AC option so I would have had that either way), a higher output alternator, a seperate trans cooler, synth gear oil in the rear (75w140), and I think a different/"better" battery.

In 94 they had 3.73 gears for the towing package but in 95 they kept all 4lt autos with 3.55 gears so you probably have 3.55s as well.

Mine also came with a full size spare. That was a requirement for my LSD but for some reason I thought it was also for the tralier towing. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

the reference to the D44 only being used in 1987 was pointing out the OEM use of the axle by AMC/JEEP in the XJ platform.. the axle itself has been used widely by most automakers in one form or another since the 60's to the current years offerings.... for the record i have had 2 87 with this axle and know of an 88 sitting dead in a yard "not for sale" with it as well..
mike

Back