• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 PCM options

Twinzz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, New to the site and in depth matters of xj's. I have a bone stock '01 xj Classic with 155k kilometers on it, Identical to the one in my Avatar. I searched long and hard for a super clean unmolested xj, figured I would leave the destruction of it to me. As I have many future plans for it. So as much as I love my little xj, it has broke down and left me frazzled, parts of owning a jeep I guess :rolleyes:. We were out on a short trip just taking are pup dog for a drive to get away from the heat on a FSR close to home. the jeep has been running great, but while puttering around I hit a couple little bumps as you would expect on these types of roads, and she up and died on me. When I tried to restart, it would not fire after 3 or more attempts, hit the fuel tank with a hammer and away she goes, figured you typical fuel pump issue. Beetled down the road as quick as possible to try and get it home, made it about ten k's then she died again, but refired on its second crank and at least got me home. the morning after I went to start with many attempts only for it to fire then die seconds later, and that was the last time it ran. during these attempts to start it the gauges do not read, there is no bus were the odometer is and the check engine light and SKIM key stay illuminated on the cluster and the electric fan comes on immediatly when the key is in the run posistion hot or cold, after the third time it ran and died it stayed dead and the check engine light went out and stays out. After doing a search mostly through google, it has brought me across this great site and a few others. Mosts post pointed to the CPS. Now I did check my old or new one or anything for that matter with a voltmeter yet, but assumed with the milage it was good to replace the CPS with one from jeep. that did not solve the issue. I tried all the basics like shifter jiggle and ASD and fuel pump relays switched with others I have not disconnected and cleaned the grounds but everything looks very clean, although that doesnt mean anything. It is stuck at my home where I have very little tools and even farther from a dealership, which I am trying to avoid period. I am going to go through all the electrical more in depth with a meter to rule things out. Many posts have indicated that the SKIM may be faulty but there is little info, but the key light on the dash stays lit up. I found iy odd that a bump would knock out the chip key, unless maybe its the transponder in the column. hitting the bump amkes me feel it is more electrical. My problem is that I have only one key, secondly I dont care for SKIM, theft is rare in my area and there are alternative measures. So being an '01 with the venerable 0331 casting and two min cats with 4 02's. I have read multiple differant threads indicating you cannot alter the exhaust or engine in anyways or it will confuse the computer. As parts need to be changed, like many of us, I want to upgrade as they need to be changed out. I live in an emission exempt area, so I would like to instal a 7120 head and use a correct header for future use on a stroker, and a custom exhaust to work with this all. I have read that a 2000 PCM can be used but have not found any difinitive answers. So can I run a NON-SKIM PCM from a 2000 in my '01, if so what happens with the rear 02's? can the 2000 PCM be tuned to work with a stroker. Any insight on my current problem? I may have to fork out the $150 to get new keys in the meantime anyways, as there are few and far between good used parts in my area. sorry for the long post, but just trying to explain my dilemma. :cheers:

Take a look at my thread. It will take you through my diagnostic process for a PCM on a 98 (similar vintage to your 01). It ended up being an internally shorted PCM and my replacement has been very successful and did not cost more than $300.

It's a long post, but should provide some help. I do not have the SKIM, but there's a lot of info about what's shared on the 5 V line and how to troubleshoot before pulling the trigger on a new PCM.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106580

Thanks for the info. Should mention I to have wire troubles in the passenger side door. Will prove farther into this matter. Any other input is appreciated. Thanks

Back