• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud banging in front of my xj

bshakes

NAXJA Forum User
i am new here sorry for the repost but i know there are a lot of posts asking about this situation but my symptoms are different. i have a 95 xj sport 4.0 5 speed with 4.5 rough country x series suspension lift running 33s with cut fenders.

i do not get the pop going down the road, hitting bumps, running trails or sitting still. i get the loud bang when i when i start to back up with my wheels turned (ie. backing out of a parking spot.) and then i get the noise again asi put it back in drive and start to ease off the clutch and take off. the noise occurs no matter where my foot is on the clutch and if i put it in neutral and roll out of a parking spot the noise still occurs.

i wouldnt be reposting this if it was a little pop or clunk but its a bang like i have just backed in top something.

has new tie rods, new balljoints, new trackbar, new sway bar, new swaybar bushings and new steering stabilizer.

again sorry for the repost and sorry for the long read. thank you for your time.

Mine is doing this also, sometimes 3or4 loud bangs and pops as I turn, thought at first it was the bolt head for my new bumper hitting the sway bar, it is hitting because the head is getting worn down, but I did a test run with the bar pinned up and it did do it, I got under there yesterday and noticed both my LCA mounts on the body side has the bushings coming out, so first chance I get I'm gonna pull them down and replace, hopefully that's it

Its not sounding like we had the same problem but its something to look at anyway. I had a bang that i couldn't lock down after i installed my long arm kit. It did it more when the front had a load on it vs just driving around. Turns out it was the upper axle mount bushing. The stupid little nubs inside the mount sleeve wore down and the bolt didnt fit but was still tight on the arm. So the arm would load up and bang. I ended up installing WJ bushings with a larger bolt and the problem went away.

does it only do it twice? and only when you start out in reverse?
so if you are turning right at a stop sign it doesn't do it?
nothing in reverse in a straight line? any lose feeling or clunking sound when on a bumpy road?
i would look closely at your upper and lower control arms. remove the bolts and inspect the bushings, bolts, and brackets.

have you opened up your front differential and inspected the gear set and spiders?

No come to think of it, if I hit the brakes real hard and come to a stop then take off again it does it. It makes no noise other then the dang exhaust pipe rattleing on the trans cross member since its cut off at the cat and wired to it. Front diff looks good as far as I can tell very little movement in spider gears.

Ill check the bolts again tomorrow, and the shock eye. It's driving me crazy i've been replacing parts like crazy, trying to get it figured out. Next I plan on replacing the spring tabs and gears. (I want to re-gear anyways)

thanks for the responses guys.

If your problem is the same as mine then your control arm bolt could be tight and still make the sound. Take on of the uppers control arm bolt out of the arm and pop the arm off the mount. Then stick the bolt back in the mount and see how much play it has.

Is this something where you can watch the suspension/front end as it makes the noise? Go pro pointed at the axle is good for spotting stuff.

I'll try pulling the bolts. I don't have a go pro and just moved to Illinois so I don't know anyone with a go pro currently. But will see what I can do.
Thanks guys.

Back