• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust in the way of Flexplate Cover?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else had this happen? The exhaust is blocking me from removing the bolts for the inspection cover.

The Jeep has developed a bit of a chatter ... have not been able to isolate it. Doesn't sound like a broken piston skirt (but I guess that could be the issue being a 2000).

I want to remove the cover to see the flex plate ... but not having good luck doing so!

Is there a way to do this without removing the exhaust?

The lower left bolt hole in the inspection cover is slotted.. Complete removal of the bolt is not necessary.

Yeah I ran into this issue too and I didn't see any obvious way of getting it off without either bending the cover or removing the exhaust pipe.

Re: Re: Exhaust in the way of Flexplate Cover?

Ha! Interesting. Never checked that closely.

Does the starter need to come out?
Nope. The cover is triangular. 3 bolts and it slides out... It can be a little fiddly but it will come out.

The noise is strange. Does it on cold start or hot restart. Hot idle - no noise at all. Louder when behind the engine. Same amount of noise left or right (so it's not a lifter). Not the same noise as a dropped piston skirt.

Piston slap. A loose fitting piston will knock when cold and quiet down when hot.

But wouldn't true piston slap (caused by the cold aluminum piston not being the same size as the bore) only be on a cold start? This does it on cold start and hot restart. I can run it down the highway for an hour at 55 (can't go faster due to driveline vibes), let it idle and it'll be whisper quiet. Shut it off for 5 minutes, start it up again and it's more chattery than cold.

I have noticed the J30 Honda engines are quite the slappers when cold - but this isn't as audible as that by any means.

If it's not the flex plate I'm going to drive it until it comes apart, whatever it is.

typically.

I also posted directly after that about a lifter bleeding down but apparently it didn't take (tapatalk)

A failing hydraulic lifter can bleed off and be noisy on startup, once oil pressure is achieved it'll go quiet again.

I got the passenger side bolt out, and the middle one. I can't get the drivers side one that is against the exhaust out. I managed to loosen the nut up by holding it with vide grips but it won't come out. Are they all slotted?

Mine makes a noise hot or cold, idle or not.

Oil pressure is normal. I've been suspicious of the flex plate for a while now, so I guess I'll have to check again. This is what it sounds like for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyxA9EMOqc

Sound similar to yours?

Seems to be a bit louder and lower pitched than mine. Same frequency though.

typically.

I also posted directly after that about a lifter bleeding down but apparently it didn't take (tapatalk)

A failing hydraulic lifter can bleed off and be noisy on startup, once oil pressure is achieved it'll go quiet again.

Interesting. Wouldn't a lifter tick be the right side of the engine? It does seem to have the symptoms of a bad lifter. If it's a bad lifter, I will probably leave it alone.

Being a 2000 I'm worried about it being a broken piston skirt. And flex plate bolts are a problem.

I can't get the @!$@$@$ thing to go all the way back on. WTF!?!

I'm going to have to get a hack saw and cut the bolt out that is against the exhaust.

Might as well just unbolt the exhaust?

I couldn't get mine off either. I tried again yesterday.

I live in NY :( I'm not touching the 14 year old exhaust unless I'm replacing something.

It looks like I managed to bend it. I'm headed up to the junkyard to take a look at another one.

It has 3 bolts right? I don't have one on mine, don't know what happened to it. Heck in 7 years it has never had one. But 2 bolts will hold it in place. Hammer to get it back in shape and install.

I live in CA and run only the desert.

Back