• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Clutch Replacement

Skipper51

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was at the Sierra Fest this past weekend and my AC Compressor started making a squealing noise when the AC was off. When I turned on the AC the compressor quieted down so I decided to drive home with it that way. TheWeirdo gave me a AC bypass just incase it acted up and it did. So I pulled back the compressor and installed the bypass to get me back on the road and home.

So my question is this:
Can I buy and replace the whole clutch assembly, pully and all by unbolting the front plate and bolting a new one back on?
It looks like it is held on by 10 or so bolts and that if you remove this plate the clutch and pulley may come off with it and then I could just bolt in a new piece.

Is it that easy?

I asked that question before when my clutch started acting up. If I am not mistaken the general consensus I got was some compressors can be worked on, some can't. Not sure about your 2000, but mine is a 99.
I was told by someone on here, and an auto A/C shop my compressor needed to be changed due to the clutch acting up.

Having had a few sandens apart for oba:

If you pull the front half of the compressor off, there is nothing holding the wobble plate in. You will need to have your system discharged before attempting this repair.

Supposedly the clutch can be pressed off the shaft, and a new one installed, but I've never done it myself.

Just called Polar Bear and they said it would be 1100$ to replace the compressor. Just might keep the bypass in unless I can figure out an inexpensive and basic way to fix it.

I had the same issue on my 91. I just removed the bolt in the center of the clutch assembly , then removed the bolts holding the compressor in place so that I could angle it up enough to get the puller on it and took that sucker off and put a replacement used one on and tightened everything back down and issue solved.

Rockauto had a new complete AC compressor for about 140$ so I think I will have the Freon extracted, replace the compressor, dryer and expansion valve, then have it oiled and recharged.
I bet it would cost about 200$ or not much more to go this route.
Does this sound good? Anything I missed?

Back