• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R/F door lock problem?

Swath-

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 has some kind of short in the front passenger door. Whenever the door is opened the lock/unlock cycles on all doors.

Initially I thought I was bumping the key fob when I heard the locks actuating but I was just vacationing in California and almost got locked out! I got out to refuel leaving my key in the ignition (and cell phones in the jeep), then the wife got out.

I tried to open the drivers door but it was locked from the problem. I walked around the rig trying the doors and luckily the R/R door was unlocked. How I don't know, everything else was locked, I was just glad I was able to get back in. Needless to say, I no longer leave the key in the ignition while gassing or at any other time I am out.

I pulled the boot and was able to recreate the lock/unlock issue by pressing on the harness. I then pulled the door panel off and pulled all the connectors apart and inspected the harness for any cuts or wear spots but found none.

With the panel off, the door, I plugged the connectors back in and still had the problem. A little more screwing around and the problem quit. I figured it plugging and unplugging might have cleared up the problem.

I put everything back together and the problem is still there.

I intend to go back in now that I am back home in Colorado but I was hoping for some previous experience with this problem. Anytime the door is opened or closed the lock/unlock cycles.

I was thinking it may be the lock control switch on the door itself but seems like if I can cause it by wiggling the harness then probably not.

Any help or thoughts? Should I be looking inside the kick panel?

Wiring issues in the doors are very common. Wiggling the wire harness and causing the malfunction, pretty much confirms a wiring issue. Look for chafed wire insulation, damaged wires, and failed wire splices at or near the door hinge.

Back