• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 Np231 mount question

4wheel98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So I am installing a long arm kit on my 98 and hit a wall. The long arm belly/ transmission crossmember center mount does not line up. The holes are about an inch too far to the driver side (on the belly pan). My jeep is a aw4 np242. Now from what I've read the mounts from a 242 and 231 have different offsets. Are the mounting locations the same (not the center studs but the outer holes that mount to the Trans/transfer case)? I am thinking rc sent me a np231 belly instead on a 242. Rather than dealing with a return and waiting for a new crossmember, can I put a np231 mount on a np242? They look similar minus the offsets. Thanks guys!

To be honest, I don't know about your long arms. But I don't know what year your XJ is either.

2000-2001 use a "centered" transmission mount, a different exhaust hanger plate, and different crossmember.

1999 and earlier have the offset transmission mount.

Update for those who are curious. The 2000-2001 xj transmission mount will bolt directly onto a 1998 aw4 with np242 transfercase. I guess rough country sent me a belly for a 2000-2001. I did not try to fit it on with my stock crossmember so I do not know if it will line up.:us:

The difference in transmission mounts is whether or not the 4 bolts to the crossmember are offset or centered. I don't believe the transmission side ever changed. Hope you get it straightened out.

This is funny,,,, I just received a long arm kit for 1988 XJ with a 242 transfer case and I have the same issue. Waiting for Rough Country to open this morning to see what the solution is.

Well I did not get a reply from Rough Country yet,,,,, waiting all day. But I did figure this out on my own. These mounts are for the Aisin AW4 automatic transmission.
The offset transmission mount for the older 1999 and older cherokees is an Anchor part number 2526 sold by Advance Auto Parts. List for $32.

The centered transmission mount for 2000 - 2001 cherokees that is needed for the cross member from rough Country is an Anchor part number 3188 sold by Advance Auto Parts. List for $93.

The difference in price is ridiculous, but you have to buy one if you have the older style offset transmission mount like I did. I understand Rough Country making the crossmembers all the same,,,, but I wish they had said that in the sales description so I could have known what was needed in advance.
They don't mention it in the install directions either.

Here are the two different mounts. The centered one is on the left, the offset is on the right.

Edit: Get the offset mount from rockauto.com for like $13 shipped; centered is about $40 shipped.

IMG_6622.jpg

Back