• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 D30 Groan, not Hub or Driveshaft

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I started getting groan from the from of my '99 wih 4.5" lift. Figured it was my driveshaft u joints again. Pulled it and it did get a little quieter, but still there... so obviously the hubs right? I've been here before. So today I installed new hubs. Passenger side seemed a little noisy, but drivers was fine (keeping for trail repair). But I still have a whole lot of noise from the front :(

So no ds, new hubs, only the diff is left. Checked diff fluid and I'm fine. More metal was stuck to the fill plug than I'd like but no chunks. Only 144k miles. Think I need a diff rebuild?

Under what conditions, and when, does this "groan" occur. Are you sure the front axle differential is the source ?

Moving. Gets louder as I drive faster. When I was replacing the hubs I turned the front assembly by hand and it kinda made noise but it's so hard to tell. 90% it's coming from front but no way to know for sure.

Sounds exactly like a hub going out. I was a bit shocked te noise didn't go away after the new hubs

With the driveshaft out, grab the yoke and see if there is any slop. I had a pinion bearing go bad and it made a pretty bad noise.

My '99 started "groaning" yesterday. Has the auto tranny, high pinion D30, 4.5" lift, 32" tires, 135000 miles. Starts at about 45 mph. Downshifted, didn't change. Popped into neutral, didn't change. If I slow down, it goes away completely. Sounds like it is coming from the front.

To change the pinion bearing I would have to pull the ring and pinion right?

Yes, and if you are changing the pinion bearing, you might as well change all the bearings and seals while you're in that far. The bearing will need to be pressed on and off with a hydraulic press.

My '99 started "groaning" yesterday. Has the auto tranny, high pinion D30, 4.5" lift, 32" tires, 135000 miles. Starts at about 45 mph. Downshifted, didn't change. Popped into neutral, didn't change. If I slow down, it goes away completely. Sounds like it is coming from the front.

first thing is to check fluid, then check hubs next, then bearings, etc.

I've been thinking of going up from my 3.54s so maybe this is a good excuse. Just so much $$ for a trail beater.

If you do replace the bearings all you need is a master install kit same as if you were doing gears.

If you do indeed change the ratio you will need a new center carrier if you install 3.73 or higher or you can install a locker at the same time (good time to do so no extra labor) and no carrier needed. You will find a lot of much need new traction with a new locker at either end.

Back