• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear spring mods

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone taking the main leaf from another spring pack and cutting the eyes off and stuffing that in between the main leaf and other leafs of the pack that is on the XJ. As we know the main leaf bends by the rear shackle all the add a leaf kits give you a 3/4 length spring that makes the bend worse.how is the ride quality then.

? I don't understand what you're saying because its hard to follow your writing but are you talking about a bastard pack?

Yes, people do that all the time. XJ Cherokee main leaves work very well, as do S-10 main leaves. The modification, as already explained, is called a Bastard Pack.

With an XJ main leaf, the ride quality is nearly the same as stock.

He's talking about a bastard pack.
Yep, it's been done.
I took some XJ leaf springs from the junkyard and cut the bushing eyes off. I put the mains and seconds in the springs that were on my Jeep. My car came with the factory 1" lift. In total, I wound up with 2.5" lift.
I like the way it rides though it could be smoother. My shackle angle is vertical and I didn't use any leaf spring liner, so there are 2 things right off the bat that would help a lot.

He's talking about a bastard pack.
Yep, it's been done.
I took some XJ leaf springs from the junkyard and cut the bushing eyes off. I put the mains and seconds in the springs that were on my Jeep. My car came with the factory 1" lift. In total, I wound up with 2.5" lift.
I like the way it rides though it could be smoother. My shackle angle is vertical and I didn't use any leaf spring liner, so there are 2 things right off the bat that would help a lot.

Definitely get that shackle angle right and I can promise you the ride gets real nice, I did the same as you I had the upcountry package so I took the main leaf spring of another xj pack and put them in(no secondary leaves) and I built a shackle relocator so that I could correct the angle, gave me about 3" lift total and rides real good.

Back