• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar question

Dallas45kn

NAXJA Forum User
Just put clayton long arms on the heep and pushed my axel out for a bigger foot print
I really like where its sitting but my sway bar disconnects are rubbing the coil and needs to be pushed forward a couple of inches
I know there are those Rubicon express relocation brackets but i really dont like the look of those.
I was just curious if i could use a smaller sway bar out of something else like a Yj or something or should i just move the original brackets forward a bit?

move the brackets to stop the interference.
You may / may not need the sway bar on your XJ. Most of them really ought to have it for safe handling.

If you have to have a sway bar, move it forward and get it off of your coils (even though your axle shouldn't be that far forward) longer arms in the aftermarket exist to keep geometry correct when you lift it. If you lift it on stock arms, it'll come back. Longer arms kick the axle out so it's just straight down from the stock position. If you kick it forward purposely to improve approach angle, a sway bar is probably the last of your worries. My daily xj has no sway bars. I just deal with the little bit of body roll and don't worry about it. Using a YJ sway bar seems possible but you'd just have to measure your YJ sway bar length (end link hole to end link hole and measure that distance on your axle. You don't want end links leaning weird directions. I think it may be possible but it's hard to say. A TJ sway bar may work considering their dana 30's are the same as XJ dana 30's. YJ 30's have everything welded differently since they're leaf sprung

If you have to have a sway bar, move it forward and get it off of your coils (even though your axle shouldn't be that far forward) longer arms in the aftermarket exist to keep geometry correct when you lift it. If you lift it on stock arms, it'll come back. Longer arms kick the axle out so it's just straight down from the stock position. If you kick it forward purposely to improve approach angle, a sway bar is probably the last of your worries. My daily xj has no sway bars. I just deal with the little bit of body roll and don't worry about it. Using a YJ sway bar seems possible but you'd just have to measure your YJ sway bar length (end link hole to end link hole and measure that distance on your axle. You don't want end links leaning weird directions. I think it may be possible but it's hard to say. A TJ sway bar may work considering their dana 30's are the same as XJ dana 30's. YJ 30's have everything welded differently since they're leaf sprung

he didnt do it for approach angle pretty sure he stretched the wheelbase a bit

Back