• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 NO START

LUMLEY8788

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 1993 Cherokee country in non running condition. Im able to spray carb cleaner in throttle body and it will start. checked for power at the pump and I have 6v on the center wire. When cycling the key I never see the 2-3 second 12v prime. I bypassed the resistor and no change on voltage. Checked and swapped the relay with starter relay still no change. Is it only supposed to have the 6v signal and not the 12v? the fuel gauge is not working either. This jeep has been sitting for a long time so Im assuming the pump has froze up and the sender is shot too just trying to make sure before I throw parts at it. any help would be appreciated Ive been looking around for the answer but having issues getting a straight answer or approach to do next.

******update***** checked a few things this afternoon after doing some reading. I bypassed the resistor and If I jump 87 to 30 I get 12v at the resistor and back to the fuel pump where I was getting no voltage and only 6v on the middle wire at the fuel pump. I tried another relay but then it went back to no power. Only have power when I Jumper the 2 terminals. with the key on and relay removed I have power on 3 of the 4 terminals.. fuel pump still doesn't engage (which is fine I assumed it was shot regardless) what allows the terminal I am jumping to get its power? is it the PCM? thanks any and all help is appreciated!

Picked up the jeep dirt cheap ($175) its been sitting since 2008 the wiring doesn't look bad on it at all. but im sure its something small somewhere hanging me up. I think Im going to pull the pump and bench test it and ohm the sender to see if its shot too. get a known good fuel pump and check grounds. worst case I can possibly jumper a wire from another terminal at the power distribution relay that's hot when the key is on to send power to the pump. if that's the only thing that ends up holding me up.

Back